Category “Personal Stories”
Have you ever done your research and started thinking…did I cover my most important questions? We are here to help answer your questions on the swopper chair, here are the top 3 questions we receive about them.
How do you sit correctly on a swopper?
Sit down in the center of the swopper seat so that the spring strut becomes an extension of your spine. Keep your balance with your buttocks and both legs with your feet flat on the floor.
Your pelvis should be slightly higher than your knees to form an open angle between hips and knees, this benefits your circulation. Bounce around a few times and you will then automatically sit up straight and your diaphragm is freed to help you breathe more deeply. Your body alignment enhances your intellectual performance by improving the supply of oxygen to your body.
If you are using the swopper at work, you need to shift your weight to move the seat towards your desk. This automatically brings your body into a position in which your spine moves freely and upright over the slightly inclined pelvis which helps you keep your back straight. The spring strut of the swopper automatically takes over the forward tilt that your spine has to manage on its own when using a conventional office chair, which takes the hunchback sitting position out of the equation.
Can I sit all day without a backrest?
The swopper is completely different than conventional chairs, with a conventional office chair, you do need a back support on it because you sit for long periods without moving. however, your muscles are not made for hours of holding one position as this is what causes tension and backache. On the swopper, however, your back remains constantly active and in motion and at any time your body starts to feel fatigued you should begin moving on your swopper . This trains and strengthens your back and core muscles to help support your body in a better more balanced way.
What is the difference between a classic swopper and swopper air?
The classic swopper substructure is an all “foam seat head” with fabric over it. It has a “firmer sit.”
With the swopper air, we are using a material that’s not foam. The hi-tech “3dea” material is used in i.c.u. beds and offers the following characteristics along with a “softer sit”:
- very resilient
- supportive where pressure is applied yet without pressure points
- breathable due to its woven nylon filament
- seat cover is a woven knit material that’s also very breathable and heat regulating.
We work in partnership with some fantastic furniture dealerships and you know when someone who KNOWS furniture has a lot to say on our 3Dee Active Office Chair, it means something. That’s why we want to share the feedback we received today from Hayley from Smart Busiess Products, so you could see first hand what a new experience on 3Dee is like.
So…the 3-Dee chair. It was one of the chairs we had at the business conference with Scott. I’ll be honest, I’d not done the chair due diligence. I tried to sit in it for a couple of days and I didn’t’ like it because it had no arms. However, at the business conference, I had a chance to listen and learn from Scott—why it doesn’t have arms, how it works, what it does—and that it can burn up to 400 calories by sitting in it a day.
Last week, I decided to sit in the bad boy. Cold turkey, 8-9 hrs/day.
By Friday evening, I honestly thought I had a kidney stone my low back was so sore. All weekend, I moved like an old woman, crying about my low back—but it wasn’t just my back. It was my hips, my glutes, down into my legs. AKA my lower core.
Of course I googled it, and I decided that either the chair sucked and was going to end me OR it was doing what Scott said it would do and I was just THAT craptastic in the core area. And hey, after two c-sections, who wouldn’t be, right?
Monday morning, I decided to try it one more day to see how I felt (I was still sore), but noticed when I sat down, my pain suddenly went away. Again, this told me I NEEDED the 3-Dee chair. Later that morning, I shifted and my left hip had a huge POP, to the point Amy asked if I was ok.
Guess what? For the first time since I can remember, I felt NO impingement in my left hip. Even after the chiropractor. Oh sure, it got sore—but it truly felt as if my leg had been “popped” out of a jam up into my hip.
Today, while measuring casegoods at a client’s office, my right hip finally popped—to the point the customer asked me if I was ok. J
I’m not a tall drink of water, but I would swear I’m an inch taller. In addition to my lower back (despite being sore on the right side after the pop) feeling 98% better than it has felt since I was 23 years old (last year, I know), I’ve noticed a lot less tension in my upper back—since gravity is pulling down my shoulders and they aren’t stopped by armcaps.
Am I crazy? I will tell you Stuart commented that I was standing straighter than he had ever seen me stand. So as crazy as I am, I am now a believer. It took some time, but you get the official Hayley seal of approval on the 3-Dee. And you know that isn’t the easiest to come by!
Have a great day and thank you for introducing me to the 3-Dee. It really has made an impact—or lack thereof—on me! – Hayley
Thank you Hayley for taking the time to share your experience on the 3Dee Active Office Chair with us! This is the perfect example of what a “breaking in” period on a motion chair could look like. Once you get used to the new way of sitting, the benefits are endless.
~ Jenn Lytle
Once you’ve made the leap into motion seating, you’ll find it hard to remember why you didn’t buy one sooner. Don’t take it from us though, read on to check out some of our real customer testimonials to see what sitting on a motion chair like swopper is really like.
“My son had a bad hip, since fixed, and he bought one of your chairs to alleviate that pain. I’ve recently borrowed it while he’s been traveling and it relieved my back stiffness caused by the standard office chair. Besides, it’s kind of fun.”
– Wayne V.
(purchased swopper classic)
We hear again and again from swopper users who suffering from chronic back pain, joint stiffness and bad posture who find relief from swopper. Wayne’s testimonial shows the power motion seating has to engage your core muscles, strengthen your back and release pressure felt from stationary sitting.
We also frequently hear that sitting on a swopper makes the work day fun. Something about bouncing, tilting and swaying while you sit breaks up the long work days spent at your desk. In fact “this is so fun!” is the main response we hear from people the first time they sit on a swopper chair.
“I was looking for a chair that adjusted to a height where it could be used with a standing desk and was easier on the back and legs than a traditional chair. I just ran across the muvman. I like the movement and the tilt, as well as the ‘minimalist’ design, and it feels very durable and is easy to adjust.”
With the popularity of sit to stand work stations, many people are looking for a chair option that provides relief from both sitting all day AND standing all day. Muvman is the perfect companion for a sit to stand work set up.
As Brenda noted, the minimalist design makes muvman a breeze to adjust, lift and even bring with you for meetings. Plus the benefits of motion mean muvman allows you to stay always in motion while you perch.
It’s easy for us at Via Seating to tell you how fantastic our motion chairs are – we truly believe in the benefits of motion – but what tells an even better story is hearing from real-life motion chair users. It’s true that once you find motion chairs, you’ll never go back.
~ Jenn Lytle
Scroll to the bottom of this post for a limited-time 15% off coupon for Swopper Classic!
Here at Swopper, we really appreciate our staff, and would love for you to get to know us better. We are celebrating Fourth of July by taking the 3rd of July off to spend with our families, but we thought it might be nice to share a few special family traditions from some of our employees. Please feel free to share your special memories with us as well; we’d like to make a tradition of sharing those with our team after the holiday weekend.
“Every summer my family would go to Clear Lake, California. We would all load in our boat and drive over to watch the fireworks over the lake and “ooo & aww” together. I still love this to this day.”
“Independence Day means heading up to Lake Tahoe to enjoy the mountain air, swim in the clear blue water, enjoy some ice cold libations, and end the day watching the fireworks in Kings Beach. The bright reflections on the still water make the fireworks show that much better! Happy 4th of July!”
“Every year we pile up in the back of the truck and go up to the top of the mountain overlooking downtown Reno and Sparks to watch the fireworks go off. We tune into the radio station that synchronizes the music to the show, which is our favorite part. It’s awesome!”
My favorite memory, one that I have continued with my children, is to go to South Lake Tahoe, CA. We watch the fireworks from the backyard of a home on the South shore so that we can see 4 different fireworks shows from across the lake. The closest one is the downtown area, and these are spectacular to watch as they reflect off the lake. We cuddle in blankets and all sit together with family, friends, and pets after a day of bbq’ing. Happy 4th of July!
We hope you have a safe holiday weekend!
– Jennifer Lytle – Director, Customer Service
Here at Swopper, we love our dads! We also have several dads who work in our offices. This year we decided the dad’s we know deserve the best of the best, so we scoured our favorite brands and websites for the ultimate Father’s Day gift guide for when you want to spoil dad good.
- The social drinker… He likes to have company over to share the top American whiskey. Buy your dad, father in law, or special guy in your life the best money has to offer. Thomas H. Handy Sazerac offers a straight Rye Whiskey for around $399.
- The gadget guy…He likes to show off the latest watch, phone, or electronic, and loves to compare notes with other techy types. Indulge his inner geek with an apple watch, because no one does tech quite like Apple. Starting at $599
- The work-a-holic… He doesn’t just go to work – he practically lives there. Get your dad something he can beproud to sit on, combined with an ergonomic solution that may spare his back and pain or discomfort. The 3Dee Active Office Chair is German made and almost as good as the new BMW he wants. Starting at $1,395. For a limited time you can get Dad a 3Dee or Muvman, our popular sit-to-stand chair, for 15% off. Use coupon code FATHERSDAY15% on Swopper.com.
- The sports fan… In the past you’ve purchased coffee mugs, t-shirts, tie’s, blankets, and misc other team logo items for dad. It’s time to level up! Purchase an in person visit to his favorite player, and really gain his attention! #bestdad #sportsfans #dadoftheyear
- The couch potato… for the man that needs a remote for his remote, a chair the leans him forward to better see the game, the guy who eats in front of the TV, and who loves to cheer on his whole family from a seated position. I give you the man fridge. Tastefully designed to fit in with your décor! Starting at $449 it is a steal never to be asked to go get dad another soda again.
Whatever you choose to get dad this year for Father’s Day, let’s commit to making our dad’s feel our love and gratitude, because they deserve it!
Jennifer Lytle – Proud daughter to the best step-dad and father in-law ever!
We at Swopper couldn’t be more excited to introduce you to our friend and Swopper ambassador, Jay Cardiello. Jay is a wellness & fitness expert to the stars like 50 Cent, Jennifer Lopez and more. Jay is a huge fan of motion seating and Swopper.
Jay is going to be writing posts for the Swopper blog with his wellness tips, fitness advice and much much more. Here is Jay’s first blog, which tells his very personal story of how he overcame injury.
Hello, my name is Jay Cardiello and welcome to my blog. For the past twenty-years, I have worked as Fitness and Wellness Expert coaching thousands of people improve their lives by breaking down their old patterns that have yielded them from achieving optimal health. I have had the privilege of coaching Business Leaders, Celebrities and Professional Athletes to perform at their top of their game.
Improving people’s lives however came at the cost of an injury. Years, before I had made a commitment to change the lives of others – I first had to learn to resurrect my own.
While competing as a long-jumper for the University of Arkansas Track and Field program, I suffered a major spinal injury. During a routine practice drill, I had over-stepped a landing, which sent a force so powerful into my spine that it caused a severe fracture in my tailbone, while misaligning several discs and vertebras.
The injury took two spinal fusions to fix, while I needed a total of 13 surgeries to reconstruct the damage that I had suffered from the misaligning of my spine.
A few surgeons told me that my athletic career was over and that I would be bound to a rather sedentary lifestyle. One doctor in particular said at best, that I should probably seek a desk career. I hope he reads this blog!
That injury was both a mental and physical turning point for me, which I would later recognize as being the experience that enabled to me to understand the mind and body-from a subjective standpoint. My recovery allowed me to develop powerful “tools of confidence” that I would later need to extract from my coach’s tool box in order to help others achieve optimal mental and physical health.
In my blogs, you will learn about succeeding in personal wellness in a way that makes sense with ideas, tips, programs and positive behavioral changes that are simplistic and attainable. My goal is to show you how to positively change your life without changing your lifestyle. Are you with me?
~ Jay Cardiello
Jay Cardiello is a Wellness and Fitness Expert who has worked with such people as 50 Cent, Jennifer Lopez, Ryan Seacrest, Kevin Love and Sofia Vargara. Cardiello has also spent time in the professional coaching ranks with such teams as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cincinnati Reds Baseball Organization. Aside from his coaching attributes, Cardiello acts as the SHAPE Fitness Editor at Large and is a Contributing Editor at Muscle & Fitness and Men’s Fitness. As well as the Residential Celebrity Trainer for OK and STAR Magazines. Cardiello is the Co-Founder of Off the Scale (a Prescription Based Health Care Initiative Program to help combat Obesity). He has also authored the book, Cardio Core 4×4 and Founded the 20-Minute Body Weight workout of the JCORE.
During the holiday season we see a lot of people that maybe you don’t typically notice, whether that be your mailman bringing a package up to your doorstep, new kids in your neighborhood wearing a big bright new coat, or more strangers in the grocery store picking up the necessary items they need to invite their extended family over for the holiday.
Those that you pass that are less fortunate than you, you may not notice as they look like everyone else but they have kids to feed, no electric, and certainly no holiday cheer or presents for their family. These are the people in your community that need our help.
Swopper has chosen to adopt a family in our Reno, NV community this year for the holidays. We are bonding together to build a whole house full of holiday cheer, furniture, gifts, food, and surprises for one special family (bonus that we will be able to give more to a local school as well with all of our efforts to collect donations). We will be delivering these packages, table & chairs, food and holiday cheer this week.
There will be no photos but we will all know in our hearts that we have made a positive effect this year for one special family, and hopefully a little inspiration to you as well.
We encourage you to take a moment in your own holiday bustle to find ways to help by giving back to your community. Whether big or small, you never know how much your act of kindness can affect others.
-From all of us at swopper.com
If you are one of the lucky employees sitting on a swopper at your place of employment, you’ve no doubt received odd looks or comments from fellow co-workers.
Sometimes it can be hard to put into words what exactly the swopper is and why you love it so much.
Here are some quick responses to some of those curious questions your coworkers may have about your swopper:
- What IS that?? This is my swopper. It’s an ergonomic chair that helps me stay in motion while I’m sitting.
- How does it work? It has 3 dimensional movement, so you can tilt, bounce and sway while sitting.
- Why do you use it? Swopper helps keep me fit. You’re toning your core muscles, your posture is improving and you’re burning calories vs just sitting stationary.
- Isn’t it hard to concentrate if you’re moving? Not at all. Actually studies have shown concentration, focus and energy is improved when we are moving vs. being sedentary.
- Can you show me how you use it? (Give a big 360 degree spin with a big bounce and a big smile….because swopper is also a lot of fun!).
- Can I try it? Of course! Take a test spin, but only if you give it back!
Now after this exchange takes place, don’t be surprised if you start seeing a trend. Remember the “squeaky wheel gets the oil” and we often see that once one swopper is introduced into a workplace, typically there are more to follow.
Is swopper for everyone? Maybe not, but is a standard task chair for everyone? Absolutely not! Now that you’re armed with your swopper elevator speech, you can confidently handle all the curious looks and questions you get when you bring your swopper to the office.
~ Sandra Bowie, Motion Seating Director
One of the first questions we often get from customers is “Which chair is right for me?” With three motion chair options – Swopper, Muvman and the new 3Dee – the decision can get confusing. That’s why we decided to write a blog post detailing the differences between the chairs, to better help you decide.
To help illustrate the differences between the chairs, I’m going to profile different people at our office and tell you why they chose one chair over another. This way you can get to know us all a little better too.
- User: me! Jenn Lytle
- Office Habits: 8-10 hours a day sitting at a desk
- Why I chose the Swopper: It allows me to move and stay active during the long stretches of time I am at my desk focusing on a project.
I’ll start with myself, I’m at the office 8-10 hours a day and do a lot of sitting during that time. My choice is the custom Swopper. I have my favorite color upholstered on the seat and wheels on the base. I don’t use the wheels a whole lot but I love that I have the option should I feel the need to visit my neighbor’s desk without removing my body from my chair.
What I love about my Swopper is that no matter how far I reach out…I can grab what I need and bounce right back to where I was, and without bending my body in an unfortunate position. I love to bounce and move constantly and you might find me a little distracting to have a face-to-face conversation but I’m having more fun at my desk than you are!
- User: Chas Hepler
- Office Habits: Always on the move to various meetings
- Why he chose the Muvman: It offers flexibility by being height adjustable and also portable enough to carry all around the office.
Our CEO Chas Hepler uses a Muvman on a daily basis. Chas isn’t one to sit still and he likes to switch from sitting to perching to standing whenever he wants. He also likes to have the ability to move the chair into a different room for meetings.
That’s why Chas opts for the Muvman. The chair is so light and meets all of his needs whether he is typing on his computer, talking on the phone or holding a conference. The Muvman meets all of Chas’ changing office needs.
3Dee Active Office Chair:
- User: Ken Swanson
- Office Habits: Sitting some of the day; used to a more traditional office setting
- Why he chose 3Dee: It give him the benefits of movement with the comfort and familiarity of a more traditional office chair
Ken has been working in an office setting for 20+ years before coming to our “non-traditional” office space here at Swopper. After sitting in a regular office chair for many years, our motion seats were a big change for him. To help ease him adjustment, Ken is opting for the 3Dee Active Office chair.
With it’s high back and more traditional office chair set up, the 3Dee gives Ken the comfort of he’s familiar work setting, with the added bonus of movement to keep his body healthy. He loves that the 3Dee is his “secret weapon” against back pain, because it provides ergonomic movement while looking more like a traditional chair.
In short, each of our motion chairs provide a unique benefit. We’re confident that one of these chairs is the perfect fit for your needs. If you have additional questions about which chair is right for you, contact us any time at email@example.com
~ Jenn Lytle
It is not uncommon for people who are new to motion seating to need a bit of a “breaking in” period to adjust from their normal sedentary sitting to active motion sitting. Some comments we hear from “newbie” swopper users include feeling tired, out of balance and just plain uncoordinated on their new chair.
Think about it … you are going from sitting stationary most of the day, to suddenly bouncing, tilting and swaying. That can be a big adjustment for your muscles that have gotten used to sitting still.
The good news is the body is very adaptable and in no time swopper users go from feeling clumsy to feeling energized, athletic and revived. Here are some tips for getting through this transition period.
- Transition slowly over time. Don’t feel like you need to immediately start swopping all day. It’s perfectly acceptable to slowly ease into the amount of movement you’re doing in a day. Try two hours swopping and then an hour in a stationary chair. This rotation back and forth will give your body an appropriate break from your newfound motion.
- Adjust the chair settings to limit movement range. The swopper has two ways to adjust settings to limit movement at first. There is a cap on the bottom of the middle post. If you turn the chair upside down and twist this to control the amount of side to side tension.
There is also a plastic piece on the center column that twists around the column that controls the amount of bounce tension. In the beginning it is best to have a low tension on the bounce and less side to side tension. This will enable you to not use too much energy to bounce up and down & side to side, keeping you more upright.
- Listen to your body. Pay attention to cues and prompts that motivate you to move, stretch or sit still. It’s surprising how many of us have a disconnection to our bodies. Swopper and active sitting prompts a lot more communication between the body and the brain. For some this can be a new introduction to an old friend and it may take time again to reestablish that relationship and feel comfortable with it.
- Make a commitment. Active seating is a new way of life in the office. It is about shaking it up and committing to motion vs. stagnant sitting. It is not about rigorous exercise, but the cumulative effect of moving all day vs. very little movement. By committing to this new healthy way of sitting, you’ll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.
- Allow your brain to adjust. If you have been sedentarily sitting for a long period, your muscle (and your brain is a muscle) has memory and gets used to this position and the feeling and state that surrounds it. If you abruptly disrupt this state you change everything and you change it quickly. This creates muscle confusion allowing for a new state to emerge. These are good things and show that the body is evolving to a new way of sitting and feeling creating a sense of new normal.
Changing the way you sit all day may take time to adjust to. The good news is that this adjustment period is typically short (a few weeks) and if you follow the tips above, you can limit any discomfort. With time, you’ll begin to feel at ease on your swopper and we guarantee you won’t ever look back.
~ Chas Hepler, swopper CEO