Category “Workplace Trends”
It’s no secret Apple’s office culture is on the forefront of employee wellness, so it is no surprise that Apple CEO Tim Cook recently came out to encourage the benefits of transitional sitting. In an interview with Bloomberg, Cook said “sitting in the new cancer” and discussed how they tackle the issue with their own employees.
Cook shared that every one of Apple’s 12,000 employees at their Apple Park Headquarters is given a standing desk to use. Cook promoted the benefits of transitional sitting, saying “if employees stand for a while when they work, sit down, and go back to standing, it’s far better for their health than sitting all day in an office.”
Transitional sitting has recently picked up steam with health experts, who claim it is the healthiest way to sit. Research has shown that neither standing or sitting exclusively all day is good for your health. Both can lead to various health ailments. The proven best way to work is moving fluidly between sitting and standing, while incorporating movement.
The key is to stand for awhile, then when you start to feel fatigued, transition to sitting. Ideally you are moving and stretching your body throughout the entire day as well.
Muvman is the ultimate transitional sitting companion chair as it allows you to easily adjust the height of the chair to accommodate sitting, standing or perching. Plus it’s ergonomic design allows you to tilt and sway while sitting, so your body stays in slight motion.
Transitional sitting is no longer a best practice only those focused on their wellness know about. It’s becoming more and more mainstream as evidenced by Tim Cook promoting it’s many benefits. Get your workspace set up to function optimally to support your health by using a height adjustable desk and Muvman sit to stand stool.
The modern workplace often means sitting for much of the day in front of a computer. In fact, the average person spends 12 hours a day sitting. All this sitting can wreak havoc on our health by causing a sore back, stiff joints, weight gain and more.
Beyond the daily health complaints, living a sedentary lifestyle can have massive impacts on your wellbeing. In fact, physical inactivity is the 4th leading risk factor for global mortality and there are 3.2 million deaths a year related to physical inactivity.
There are many professions that leads to a lot of sitting time. The top five jobs that require the most sitting according to Bureau of Labor Statistics include:
- Software developers: 10% standing, 90% sitting
- School bus drivers: 17.6% standing, 82.4% sitting
- Accountants: 19.7% standing, 80.3% sitting
- Insurance sales agents: 19.7% standing, 80.7% sitting
- Lawyers: 24.1% standing, 75.9% sitting
If you have one of the jobs, it’s safe to say you probably sit a lot of the day. Even if you don’t have one of these top five professions, if you work in an office setting at a computer, it’s likely an issue for you as well.
So what can you do to combat the health risks associated with prolonged sitting?
- Use a motion office chair. Swopper and 3Dee are specifically designed to keep your body in constant motion by bouncing, tilting and swaying. This movement negates the health risks that sedentary sitting brings. Your core and back muscles are engaged, your circulation is moving and overall your well being is optimal.
- Incorporate transitional sitting. When you have the ability to sit, stand or perch during your work day, you are able to move your body throughout these various positions. Experts say changing your body position while working is the best way to stay healthy. Using a height adjustable chair, like Muvman, allows you to easily move between sitting, standing and everything in between.
- Make movement a priority. It’s easy to get into the flow state at work and not want to break your concentration. Experts say though, you should move your body every thirty minutes to combat the risks with prolonged sitting. This can be a walk to the water cooler, a quick stretch or even a few push ups to get your blood moving.
If your professions requires a lot of sitting, don’t despair. You don’t have to switch careers to save your health! Just by making a few key changes to the way you sit and work can make a world of difference in your health.
If you’re like the more than 80% of Americans who work an office job, your life likely consists of an average 5 hours and 41 minutes per day sitting at your desk plus 7 hours sleeping at night. That is a lot of time for your body to be sedentary.
Experts suggest getting 150 minutes of exercise per week, which equates to around 21 minutes seven days a week. But when you work a demanding office job, which likely has hours that exceed the typical 40 hour work week, how are you supposed to fit in that much needed movement?
Below are five ways to stay active when you work an office job (and none of them involve the gym).
- Use an active motion office chair, like swopper. When you sit on a motion office chair, like swopper, you are keeping your body constantly in motion while you work. Your core and back muscles are engaged and your posture is ideal. This eliminates much of the health risks that come with prolonged sitting. Plus you can burn up to an extra 500 calories per day just sitting.
- Go for walking meetings. Banish the boring conference room for your next meeting and instead take things for a walk. This is especially effective if you are meeting with just one or two other people. Either walk the halls or go outside to get some fresh air while you collaborate.
- Institute “plank o’clock.” Break up the monotony of the day by choosing a time every day to complete a 60 minute plank at your work space. Better yet – engage your coworkers to do it all together as a way to get everyone’s blood pumping during the typical afternoon slump.
- Bike to work. If you live within biking distance to work, this can be a great way to stay active with limited time. Cycling has been shown to burn 400 and 1000 an hour, depending on intensity and rider weight.
- Use a height-adjustable desk and chair, like muvman. When you have the ability to raise or lower your desk and work chair, you unlock the ability to engage in transitional sitting – or the form of sitting experts say is the healthiest. Basically it means you move between sitting, standing and perching to maximize movement within your body. Muvman is the ultimate height adjustable chair, with a height range of 20 – 33″ or 23.5 to 36″ for the tall version.
Working an office job often means you need to consciously weave movement and activity into your daily life. Thankfully it doesn’t mean you have to slave away at the gym. Institute the above ideas and you’ll be on your way to optimal activity that fits into your life.
In a study out last year in the Journal of Epidemiology on 7,000 office workers, it was determined that the risk of cardiovascular disease with occupations combining sitting, standing, and walking may be lower than occupations people stay in one position for prolonged periods.
It seems again and again, science shows that the answer isn’t sitting vs. standing, but a combination of both. The idea of transitional sitting means to keep your body moving through various positions throughout the day – ie moving between sitting, standing and perching.
Our bodies are meant to move. Think about it. Our ancestors didn’t sit or stand for long periods of time. They were constantly moving – hunting, gathering and resting. Our modern lifestyle of staying in one position for long stretches of time goes against our very nature.
Many researchers say the way to combat the negative affects of being sedentary is to get up and move every 30 minutes. That can be highly disruptive when you’re in a flow state at work. Who wants to stop what they’re doing and go walk every 30 minutes anyway?
So how can you master transitional sitting? The best way is to utilize an height adjustable desk and ergonomic work chair – like the Muvman stool.
Muvman allows you to sit, stand and perch while also supporting movement side to side, forward and backwards. It’s height adjustable range of 20 – 33″ allows you to easily adapt to any workspace. The tall version adds additional height with a 23.5 to 36″ range of height – perfect for users 6 feet or taller.
When your workspace is set up for height adjustments, you are able to sit when you want to rest, stand when you feel motivated and perch for those in between times. The movement of the Muvman chair also lets you keep your hips moving, core muscles engaged and legs active. This movement is near constant, which is how we were meant to work.
If you’re looking for the healthiest way to sit, the research is clear … combine sitting, standing and perching while also keeping in motion to unlock the healthiest way to work.
The holidays are upon us, which means finding the perfect gift for your loved ones. Something unique, practical and special. Ideally something they’ll use every day, year round. If the person on your list is into health and wellness and works at 9-5 office job, we have the perfect gift idea.
The gift of motion seating.
What is motion seating? It’s a revolutionary way to sit that allows you to stay in motion while you work. It combats the many health risks of prolonged sitting by keeping your body in a near-constant state of motion.
Motion office chairs allow a user to bounce, tilt and sway while sitting. This results in too many health benefits to name. Improved circulation, diminished back pain, more calories burned, better concentration and an overall boost in wellness.
There are four types of motion chairs to choose from when doing your holiday shopping:
- Swopper Chair
Swopper is a groundbreaking motion chair that allows you to move in three dimensions while you sit. By keeping balance on the sprung seat your body is always slightly in motion. Since the swopper chair can tilt towards your working surface, there is no longer any need to hunch your back. Sitting on a swopper is just pure, simple fun!The swopper comes in a variety of colors and styles – swopper classic, swopper air, swopper saddle and swopper tall. Learn more about swopper.
- Muvman Sit to Stand Stool
The muvman is the ultimate height adjustable motion chair. It’s perfect for anyone who prefers standing to sitting, like someone who uses a standing desk. The muvman easily transitions from sitting to standing height and allows you to sit, perch or stand with ease. Studies show transitional sitting, or shifting between sitting, standing and perching, to be the healthiest way to sit.Muvman is an intelligent seat that gives you proper support without causing pressure points. With lots of practical details, such as the grip for easy carrying of the seat, the Muvman stool is the ideal ergonomic office chair. The sleek look for Muvman, a design that has won national and international awards, rivals any modern office chairs. Learn more about muvman.
- 3Dee Active Office Chair
Perfect for someone who prefers a back to their office chair, 3Dee incorporates movement into a classic design. With 180 patents, such as the patented 3D technology, sets 3Dee apart from regular ergonomic office chairs. It supports and encourages movements to the side, forward, backward and even vertical swinging. In addition, the comfortable, semi-high back comes with individually adjustable lumbar support – ideal for conscious relaxation in between.3Dee has been called the “healthiest office chair” for its ability to improve posture, strengthen the back, nourish intervertebral discs, stimulate blood circulation and lymph flow, and even help burn additional calories. Learn more about 3Dee.
This motion chair is a show stopper and a statement maker. Oyo cradles, bounces and rocks, inviting you to try many different sitting positions. It’s saddle-style seat lets you use your imagination when it comes to finding your most comfortable position.Available in four vibrant colors, oyo is an exclamation point to any contemporary, high-design environment. Learn more about oyo.
When you give the gift of motion seating, you’ll be giving year round health and wellness. You’re giving someone a daily reminder to stay active and healthy. All of the motion office chairs listed above have recently had their prices slashed as well, so there’s never been a better time to buy.
We spend thousands of dollars on our mattresses, cars and couches, but when it comes to our office chair, we often end up sitting on whatever our company provides or even worse those cheap chairs sold at big box stores. When the average individual spends between 50 to 60 percent of their day sitting, one has to wonder, why wouldn’t you invest in a good office chair?
Scientific research over the past twenty years has consistently shown that a sedentary lifestyle can wreck havoc on your health. In fact, studies have shown a 112 percent increase in diabetes, 147 percent increase in cardiovascular disease, 90 percent increase in cardiovascular mortality, and a 49 percent increase in all-cause mortality in sedentary individuals.
So why is it, when we know the damaging effect sitting has on our body, that we are complacent to sit on any old office chair?
Did you know, the right office chair can actually improve your overall health vs harm it. Using a motion chair, like swopper or 3Dee, can help you maintain peak performance within the confines of a typical work environment.
When you invest in an ergonomic motion chair, like swopper or 3Dee, you take the guesswork out of how to stay healthy while working in an office setting. Motion chairs allow your body to stay in optimal posture with three-dimensional movement – backwards, forwards, sideways and up and down too.
Moving while you sit also means you strengthen your core muscles, improve your posture, increase circulation and can even burn up to 500 additional calories a day. Apart from that, bouncing up and down is good for the mind and soul – because it is just plain fun!
Motion seating also means you don’t have to schedule in walking breaks every thirty minutes, like research suggest to mitigate the effects of sitting. Who wants to break out of their workflow to go for a walk every half hour?
When evaluating what office chair to buy, you can choose to invest in one that will elevate and improve your overall health, or one that leads you down the road of a sedentary lifestyle.
When determining the best use of your money, the answer seems clear, right?
Have you ever done your research and started thinking…did I cover my most important questions? We are here to help answer your questions on the swopper chair, here are the top 3 questions we receive about them.
How do you sit correctly on a swopper?
Sit down in the center of the swopper seat so that the spring strut becomes an extension of your spine. Keep your balance with your buttocks and both legs with your feet flat on the floor.
Your pelvis should be slightly higher than your knees to form an open angle between hips and knees, this benefits your circulation. Bounce around a few times and you will then automatically sit up straight and your diaphragm is freed to help you breathe more deeply. Your body alignment enhances your intellectual performance by improving the supply of oxygen to your body.
If you are using the swopper at work, you need to shift your weight to move the seat towards your desk. This automatically brings your body into a position in which your spine moves freely and upright over the slightly inclined pelvis which helps you keep your back straight. The spring strut of the swopper automatically takes over the forward tilt that your spine has to manage on its own when using a conventional office chair, which takes the hunchback sitting position out of the equation.
Can I sit all day without a backrest?
The swopper is completely different than conventional chairs, with a conventional office chair, you do need a back support on it because you sit for long periods without moving. however, your muscles are not made for hours of holding one position as this is what causes tension and backache. On the swopper, however, your back remains constantly active and in motion and at any time your body starts to feel fatigued you should begin moving on your swopper . This trains and strengthens your back and core muscles to help support your body in a better more balanced way.
What is the difference between a classic swopper and swopper air?
The classic swopper substructure is an all “foam seat head” with fabric over it. It has a “firmer sit.”
With the swopper air, we are using a material that’s not foam. The hi-tech “3dea” material is used in i.c.u. beds and offers the following characteristics along with a “softer sit”:
- very resilient
- supportive where pressure is applied yet without pressure points
- breathable due to its woven nylon filament
- seat cover is a woven knit material that’s also very breathable and heat regulating.
“Sitting is the new smoking,” “Sitting for long periods of time at work can take years off of your life,” “Static sitting contributes to chronic disease.” These are just some of the headlines that have raised awareness to the dangers of sitting behind a desk in front of a computer all day.
The answer for many people is: If sitting is bad, I will stand. Height adjustable desks are the rage. The problem is, there are issues with standing all day long as well…
- It loads up on your joints
- It can contribute to foot issues like plantar fasciitis
- You can get into bad standing postures aggravating issues in your hips and back
- Your heart has to work extra hard to fight gravity and get blood to your brain
Muvman is the ultimate solution for people that buy height adjustable desks. It is a perching chair. First of all, it has a range of 20” to 33” inches tall. This allows you to go all the way from a sitting position to almost standing with having enough weight on the chair to take the load off your joints while allowing a full range of motion.
Muvman allows you to work at any of the heights in-between, so you can use the full range of motion of the desk and not just be stuck with sitting or standing. When you want to stand, Muvman only weighs 13lbs so you can simply lift it out of the way under the desk. When you have a normal office chair with a standing desk, it is in the way when you want to stand, and it takes up a large footprint.
Disease doesn’t happen overnight. It is the cumulative effect of lifestyle choices over time. Sitting for 8+ hours a day, day after day, is not good and reduces circulation, reduces the amount of oxygen you take in and have in your bloodstream that goes to your brain, and slows your metabolism to practically zero. Having an active office with a height adjustable desk and a Muvman is committing to a healthy lifestyle that will improve your calorie burn, give you more energy, and increase your productivity.
Is muvman the right choice for you? Please call 855.272.5074 for a free phone consultation on what motion product fits best for you and your working environment!
~ Chas Hepler
More and more of the workforce is leaving the office environment and embracing the work-from-home trend. Working from home is no longer relegated for independent contractors. In fact, many companies are eschewing the traditional office for better work life balance in an effort to attract top talent, regardless of where they’re located.
While working from home has many benefits, there are some potential issues. Follow the below tips to make working from home a success for yourself and your team.
- Keep to a Routine: It’s easy to get lax while working at home. Keep yourself to a strict routine – like always starting work by 8:30 am, breaking for lunch at noon and stopping for the day at 5:00 pm – to keep yourself on task.
- Set up a proper workspace: Designate an office space for yourself at home so you feel like you’re “going to work” when you enter that space. Get the appropriate work furniture like a stand up desk and Muvman sit to stand stool to make your space inviting and functional.
- Just say no to pajamas: Even though you aren’t seeing people face to face, getting dressed for work each day can help make you feel prepared to tackle your day.
- Reach out to coworkers daily: It’s easy to feel a bit isolated working from home. That’s why it’s important to make sure you’re having calls with coworkers daily to keep the lines of communication open and effective.
- Avoid distractions: A traditional workplace can have a lot of distractions, but working from home brings it’s own set as well. Set up a gate to keep children out of your workspace, don’t work in the same room as a tv and commit to limiting your web browsing.
- Know when to shut down for the day: When your work is at home, it’s easy to feel the urge to ALWAYS be working. Set limits for yourself and prioritize your family/down time too.
- Keep active: One of the perks of working from home is the ability to stay active without the curious stares of coworkers. Get outside in your backyard for a quick workout, go for a lunch time walk or invest in a motion office chair, like swopper, and bounce, tilt or sway the day away.
If you’re lucky enough to work from home, following these tips can make your workday for productive and enjoyable. Leave a comment with any tips you have for making working from home a success!
~ Jenn Lytle
Let’s face it, sitting in an office all day while it’s beautiful outside can be a downer. Summer is a time when the sun is shining, the pool is open and the urge to enjoy the outdoors is overwhelming. Follow these tips to make the most of summer while at your 9-5 office job.
1. Bring your favorite blooms to your desk. Love to garden? Snip some of your favorite backyard blooms to enjoy at your workspace all day.
2. Take your active time outdoors. We all know it’s good to take frequent breaks to get up and move your body. This summer, take those breaks outdoors by taking a walk around your workplace to enjoy the sun.
3. Organize a team outing. Summer is a great time to get your work team together for some team building. Find a local high ropes course, go to a baseball game or volunteer to plant flowers at a local park.
4. Keep active at your desk. Something about summer makes you want to move your body. Burn off your extra energy while sitting at your desk with a motion chair. Bounce, tilt and sway while getting lost in your work.
5. Talk your boss into summer Fridays or early release in the summer. Many progressive workplaces understand the need for work life balance – especially in the summer. Once a month summer Fridays or summer early release hours can help employees enjoy the longer days.
Let us know how you plan to enjoy the weather this summer! Leave a comment with your favorite way to spend the summer days.
~ Jenn Lytle