During the holiday season we see a lot of people that maybe you don’t typically notice, whether that be your mailman bringing a package up to your doorstep, new kids in your neighborhood wearing a big bright new coat, or more strangers in the grocery store picking up the necessary items they need to invite their extended family over for the holiday.
Those that you pass that are less fortunate than you, you may not notice as they look like everyone else but they have kids to feed, no electric, and certainly no holiday cheer or presents for their family. These are the people in your community that need our help.
Swopper has chosen to adopt a family in our Reno, NV community this year for the holidays. We are bonding together to build a whole house full of holiday cheer, furniture, gifts, food, and surprises for one special family (bonus that we will be able to give more to a local school as well with all of our efforts to collect donations). We will be delivering these packages, table & chairs, food and holiday cheer this week.
There will be no photos but we will all know in our hearts that we have made a positive effect this year for one special family, and hopefully a little inspiration to you as well.
We encourage you to take a moment in your own holiday bustle to find ways to help by giving back to your community. Whether big or small, you never know how much your act of kindness can affect others.
-From all of us at swopper.com
The holiday season is upon us, and that means it’s also time to figure out what to gift your nearest and dearest with. If you’re in your 20’s – 60’s, it’s likely you know at least one person who works an office job, and even more likely nearly everyone on your list is an office worker.
Here are some holiday gift ideas we put together that are perfect for any office worker. They’ll help make their office life more cheery, comfortable and enjoyable.
Holiday Gift Ideas for an Office Worker:
1. Customized Mouse Pad:
2. Mini Electric Tea Kettle
If your office worker is into tea, this electric tea kettle will allow him or her to heat up water right at his or her desk without using the shared kitchen area. Pair it with some nice teas for a special gift.
3. A Nice Notebook
It’s time to help your office worker graduate from taking notes on a legal pad, to using a sophisticated and smart notebook. This Moleskin notebook allows you to synch your paper notes with your digital life by using Evernote.
4. A Motion Office Chair
Help your office worker maintain a healthy lifestyle by giving them the gift of motion while at work. With a Swopper, Muvman or 3Dee, they’ll be able to build muscle, burn calories and have a little fun all while sitting.
5. Livescribe Smart Pen
Talk about cool, this Livescribe “smart pen” allows you to instantly transfer your notes into your digital Evernote account, so you never miss a word. Your notes then become organized, tagged and easily searchable online.
6. Moto Hint Bluetooth Device
This is the buzzed about new Bluetooth device. It’s small, discreet and comes loaded with a lot of cool perks like voice control to access everything on your iPhone. Just ask your Moto Hint “what’s the weather like today?” and you’ll get an answer right in your ear.
7. Waxed Canvas Work Bag
8. Online Personal Stylist
Want to get your office worker some new work clothes, but don’t know what they’d like? A gift certificate to an online personal stylist like Stitchfix (for women) and Trunkclub (for men) allows your office worker to fill out a style questionnaire and then get hand-selected clothing from a personal stylist delivered right to their door.
9. Fitness Tracker
The new fitness trackers like a FitBit or Garmin Vivofit can help your office worker keep track of how many steps they take, calories they burn and hours they sleep at night. When you’re in an office most of the day, having this extra reminder to move can make a big difference.
10. Personalized Stationary
With all the digital advancements in the workplace, sometimes you can’t beat a good old-fashioned note. Give your office worker some personalized stationary with his or her name on it to take their notes to the next level.
Hopefully some of these gift ideas for an office worker have given you some starters on what to get the office worker in your life. Leave us a comment with other ideas you have to share.
~ Jenn Lytle, Director of Customer Service & Social Marketing
Let’s face it. Everyone knows by now how bad it is to be sitting behind a desk all day. But for many 9 to 5’ers, that’s just the reality based on their job requirements.
Unfortunately it’s a catch 22 for many. They want to be more active, but that requires time and usually by the end of the day, the fact that they were inactive all day leaves them with no energy or motivation to be physically active.
So what’s an office worker to do? Obviously, with our Motion Seating chairs (swopper, muvman and 3Dee) we are turning the “in-active office” into the “active office.” We are passionate about the health benefits these chairs can bring to the “ho hum” work day.
In addition to incorporating movement into your day with a motion chair, here are some other tips for how to stay fit when you work an office job.
- There’s the 30/30 rule- Every 30 minutes take a 30 second stretch break (or do some fun active bouncing on your swopper!).
- Take the stairs not the elevator – unless you work on the 70th floor and you’re already late for work.
- Move your printer further away so you have to get up to retrieve your printed items. I have this and love it!! In fact my printer is two offices away!
- Drink lots of water out of a refillable bottle that you need to refill at the water cooler down the hall – fill it often throughout the day. I do this as well. It’s a nice break for the eyes from staring at a computer for long periods of time.
- Take a lunchtime break outside and go for a walk. The fresh air will do you good as well!
- Use a height adjustable desk and change your posture often from sitting to standing and everywhere in between (think muvman!)
- Walk over and talk to that co-worker vs emailing. This can tackle a number of issues. It can lead to clearer communication, encourage creative dialogue and develop stronger relationships with your co-workers.
- Pace around your office when talking on the phone. This can help increase your thought processes and concentration plus burn some extra calories.
Don’t be afraid to try any of these even if you think it makes you look funny. Most likely your employer will applaud you for the efforts. Having healthy employees results in fewer work days lost and as any HR person knows, the cost of absenteeism is staggering.
So Keep On Moving – whether it’s at work or play!!
~ Sandra Bowie, Motion Seating Director
This week we celebrate Thanksgiving. For most, this means tackling an attitude of gratitude, several cooks in the kitchen as family join together, lots of cheers & toasts leading to a greater buzz than we may be used to, and of course, the abundance of sinful foods. After consuming all the turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pies, casseroles and on and on, we start questioning why we didn’t wear our favorite sweat pants to dinner. In fact, the Calorie Control Council says the average American consumes 4,500 calories on this one day (and on average, 1,200 of those are BEFORE the actual Thanksgiving feast!). Yikes!
Don’t despair, Thanksgiving weight gain doesn’t have to stay around for long. Here are a few of our favorite ways to ditch the extra weight many of us put on after a Thanksgiving feast.
1. Clean Up Your Diet. Thanksgiving is one of the few days a year we at Swopper like to go all out. If you’re like us and partake in all the food available during a Thanksgiving feast, then the days following the holiday are a great time to get refocused on cleaning up your diet by eating whole foods, like vegetables in a variety of colors (the old wise men used to say “Eat a rainbow of foods each day and you’ve received the nutrients you need!”). Don’t forget that some of the best soups are made with squash and other healthy vegetables.
2. Cut the alcohol and opt for water. Thanksgiving can often include wine, cocktails and other libations as family and friends gather. After the party ends, opt for filtered water over alcohol to cleanse your body. We think your head will thank you too. (I hope I can follow this one! Ha ha)
3. Commit to an exercise plan. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great time to get a jump-start on your New Year’s fitness goals. Start slow with a weekly exercise routine you can commit to and then ramp up from there. Even a brisk walk around the neighborhood has benefits for your health, so grab your family members and go for an adventure walk this holiday.
4. Get enough sleep. Sleep is crucial to maintaining a healthy weight. After those late-night catch up sessions with family you don’t see often, make getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night a priority. The great part about the Holiday’s is those cat naps but be sure it isn’t because you consumed too much turkey and stuffed your belly until you experienced a food coma.
5. Make small changes to your lifestyle to support wellness. Take a step back and investigate your daily life for opportunities to make small changes to improve your health. Instead of heading to the couch with a bowl of popcorn, head to the bowling alley to burn off some of those turkey day calories and watch the game at the same time! Headed to the grocery store for more chips and dip, park as far away as possible! Of course there are some great family traditions like flag football, family basketball tournaments or even join the kids on a bike ride.
Whatever you do, do it safely and enjoy the holidays!
~ Jenn Lytle Director of Customer Service & Social Marketing
We in the office tend to get excited when we see new scientific studies (no, really we do!) related to the dangers of leading a sedentary lifestyle. That’s why we were particularly jazzed when a new study commissioned by Workrite Ergonomics came out recently that proved there are considerable health benefits of standing desks.
Workrite Ergonomics manufacturer sit to stand work desks and accessories, which of course is a perfect companion to our Muvman sit to stand stools. In their new study, they measured the biometric benefits of sit to stand workspaces.
They did this by outfitting office workers with real-time wearable cardiac monitoring devices designed to continuously capture various human biometrics, including ECG, heart rate and skin temperature.
The results confirmed what we anecdotally knew … incorporating motion into your workday provides numerous health and wellness benefits. Just look at these results, you can’t argue with the results. This is why we at Swopper are so excited and we wanted to share with you the health benefits found in this study!
If given the choice I would have a completely height adjustable work station just about anywhere I’d want to work, which is why when the participants of this study were done, they requested to KEEP their new work station (lucky them!).
It’s incredible to see all of the health benefits of standing desks that come from the simple change from sitting sedentary all day to incorporating movement. Sometimes easy changes can have a huge impact.
Read more about the Workrite Ergonomic study here.
~ Jenn Lytle, Director of Customer Service and Social Marketing
If you are one of the lucky employees sitting on a swopper at your place of employment, you’ve no doubt received odd looks or comments from fellow co-workers.
Sometimes it can be hard to put into words what exactly the swopper is and why you love it so much.
Here are some quick responses to some of those curious questions your coworkers may have about your swopper:
- What IS that?? This is my swopper. It’s an ergonomic chair that helps me stay in motion while I’m sitting.
- How does it work? It has 3 dimensional movement, so you can tilt, bounce and sway while sitting.
- Why do you use it? Swopper helps keep me fit. You’re toning your core muscles, your posture is improving and you’re burning calories vs just sitting stationary.
- Isn’t it hard to concentrate if you’re moving? Not at all. Actually studies have shown concentration, focus and energy is improved when we are moving vs. being sedentary.
- Can you show me how you use it? (Give a big 360 degree spin with a big bounce and a big smile….because swopper is also a lot of fun!).
- Can I try it? Of course! Take a test spin, but only if you give it back!
Now after this exchange takes place, don’t be surprised if you start seeing a trend. Remember the “squeaky wheel gets the oil” and we often see that once one swopper is introduced into a workplace, typically there are more to follow.
Is swopper for everyone? Maybe not, but is a standard task chair for everyone? Absolutely not! Now that you’re armed with your swopper elevator speech, you can confidently handle all the curious looks and questions you get when you bring your swopper to the office.
~ Sandra Bowie, Motion Seating Director
One of my favorite aspects of motion seating and Swopper specifically is how easy it is to use and reap the benefits from. After a short adjustment period, sitting on these chairs becomes natural and we don’t even think about it … that is until we check out our waistline.
That’s right, Swopper has been shown to help users burn up to 300 – 500 calories a day depending on age, weight, sex and intensity of movement. Can your regular office chair do that??
To help illustrate just how much 500 calories is, here are 10 ways you can burn 500 calories:
- 65 minutes of downhill skiing, or 50 minutes of cross-country skiing.
- Jumping rope for 45 minutes
- An hour and a half of golfing, when you’re walking the course and carrying your clubs
- One hour on the stair stepper
- Six hours of kissing
- Running stairs for 45 minutes
- One hour on the rowing machine
- Two hours of yoga
- 50 minutes of full-court basketball
- Sitting on a Swopper during your work day!!
I don’t know about you, but if I’m choosing between 45 minutes of running stairs and simply sitting on a Swopper at work, I’ll take the Swopper any day.
Are you interested in tracking exactly how many calories you burn each day while sitting on the Swopper? Then stay tuned because coming this winter, our new Swopper Fit app will allow you to do just that. More details to come.
Tell us, what’s your preferred way to burn 500 calories?
~ Chas Hepler, CEO & President
We all know leading a sedentary lifestyle – aka sitting on our butts all day – is bad for our health. Recently, scientists have conducted studies to put some factual science behind the reality of what sitting does to our health.
From back pain, muscle degeneration and foggy thinking to more extremes like increased risk of colon and endometrial cancers, the jury is in … sitting all day wrecks havoc on our health.
We love this infographic created by Bonnie Berkowitz and Patterson Clark with the Washington Post, outlining exactly what health issues arise when we sit all day.
Here are some highlights from the infographic about the health risks of sitting that stood out to us:
- Sitting for long periods of time slows blood circulation, which causes fluid to pool in the legs.
- Studies have linked sitting to a greater risk for colon, breast and endometrial cancers.
- Muscles burn less fat and blood flows more sluggishly during a long sit, allowing fatty acids to more easily clog the heart.
- A 2011 study found a decline in insulin response after just one day of prolonged sitting.
Pretty scary stuff when you think about how much our modern lifestyle is spent sitting down. The good news is that all these health risks related to sitting are entirely preventable with the use of motion seating, like the Swopper or Muvman, and by incorporating movement into your day.
~ Jenn Lytle, Director of Customer Service and Social Marketing
One of the first questions we often get from customers is “Which chair is right for me?” With three motion chair options – Swopper, Muvman and the new 3Dee – the decision can get confusing. That’s why we decided to write a blog post detailing the differences between the chairs, to better help you decide.
To help illustrate the differences between the chairs, I’m going to profile different people at our office and tell you why they chose one chair over another. This way you can get to know us all a little better too.
- User: me! Jenn Lytle
- Office Habits: 8-10 hours a day sitting at a desk
- Why I chose the Swopper: It allows me to move and stay active during the long stretches of time I am at my desk focusing on a project.
I’ll start with myself, I’m at the office 8-10 hours a day and do a lot of sitting during that time. My choice is the custom Swopper. I have my favorite color upholstered on the seat and wheels on the base. I don’t use the wheels a whole lot but I love that I have the option should I feel the need to visit my neighbor’s desk without removing my body from my chair.
What I love about my Swopper is that no matter how far I reach out…I can grab what I need and bounce right back to where I was, and without bending my body in an unfortunate position. I love to bounce and move constantly and you might find me a little distracting to have a face-to-face conversation but I’m having more fun at my desk than you are!
- User: Chas Hepler
- Office Habits: Always on the move to various meetings
- Why he chose the Muvman: It offers flexibility by being height adjustable and also portable enough to carry all around the office.
Our CEO Chas Hepler uses a Muvman on a daily basis. Chas isn’t one to sit still and he likes to switch from sitting to perching to standing whenever he wants. He also likes to have the ability to move the chair into a different room for meetings.
That’s why Chas opts for the Muvman. The chair is so light and meets all of his needs whether he is typing on his computer, talking on the phone or holding a conference. The Muvman meets all of Chas’ changing office needs.
3Dee Active Office Chair:
- User: Ken Swanson
- Office Habits: Sitting some of the day; used to a more traditional office setting
- Why he chose 3Dee: It give him the benefits of movement with the comfort and familiarity of a more traditional office chair
Ken has been working in an office setting for 20+ years before coming to our “non-traditional” office space here at Swopper. After sitting in a regular office chair for many years, our motion seats were a big change for him. To help ease him adjustment, Ken is opting for the 3Dee Active Office chair.
With it’s high back and more traditional office chair set up, the 3Dee gives Ken the comfort of he’s familiar work setting, with the added bonus of movement to keep his body healthy. He loves that the 3Dee is his “secret weapon” against back pain, because it provides ergonomic movement while looking more like a traditional chair.
In short, each of our motion chairs provide a unique benefit. We’re confident that one of these chairs is the perfect fit for your needs. If you have additional questions about which chair is right for you, contact us any time at email@example.com
~ Jenn Lytle
One of our main goals here at Swopper is to introduce the benefits of motion seating to as many people as possible. A good way we’ve found to do this is to show the chairs to professions we think will have an innate interest in the health and wellness benefits of Swopper.
This strategy has been immensely popular with a specific profession – chiropractors.
We knew that the chiropractic world would understand something like swopper and the benefits of motion. After all, they are all about keeping the spine etc. in proper working condition and they make a living fixing people who suffer from chronic back pain due to injury, sedentary jobs, congenital issues or a host of other impactful conditions.
When we speak to chiropractors about the Swopper chair, here’s what we tell them:
- It opens up the hip/spine angles to better help with circulation, which in turn opens the diaphragm for better lung expansion and breathing capacity
- Swopper provides a gentle intuitive bouncing motion that draws nourishment into the intervertebral discs
- It puts you into a proper posture automatically due to the tilt range functions.
- Finally, it strengthens the abdominal, back, shoulder and leg muscles – all of which play into their treatment. If you don’t have the strong muscles, it just makes everything that much harder on the spine and other parts of the skeletal system.
All of these benefits can be looked at as an extension of what the chiropractor may be doing for the patient. We have many chiropractors that use the Swopper themselves and also recommend them to their patients.
Many prescribe Swopper as part of a treatment plan by having the patient use our motion products at work to assist with everything they are doing physically with the patient during their appointments. Or they may look at them as a preventative program to help with or slow down the onset of a certain conditions.
Any way you look at it – chiropractors, physical therapists, kinesiologists, doctors and many more understand the technical aspects of our motion products and the health and wellness benefits one receives from using them.
That’s why this year we will be attending the National Chiropractic Leadership Conference, showcasing our Motion Division. If you are a Chiropractor interested in trying out a Swopper chair, call us any time to discuss a risk-free trial.
~ Sandra Bowie, Motion Seating Director