Sitting at work is a modern invention. Up to about 200 years ago, sedentary activities were primarily reserved only for persons of high standing like pharaohs, emperors and kings. The human being moved in the course of work, stood still or squatted. Only about 50 years ago did hours of sitting become part of daily life at work … a development that has taken our bodies off guard.
We move too little and sit too much. Even that well-meant bit of sport in our free time in the evenings and at weekends does not always effectively compensate hours of sitting at the desk or in front of a PC. Research has shown that exercising for 30 minutes per day isn’t enough to offset a typical office worker’s level of inactivity. In the course of a working life we spend about 80,000 hours sitting. Global studies show, on average, we sit 7.7 hours a day, and some results estimate people sit up to 15 hours a day.
So what’s the result of all this sitting? Chronic back pain, slipped disks, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer and more have all been linked to being sedentary for too long during the day. One 2012 analysis, that looked at the findings from 18 studies, found that those who sat for the longest periods of time were twice as likely to have diabetes or heart disease, compared to those who sat the least.
That’s why businesses around the globe, which are focused on health & wellbeing, have zeroed in on helping their workers incorporate movement into their workday. Studies show, the key to using movement to improve your health, is to make sure you do it frequently throughout the day.
Five Ways to Stay Active While at Work:
- Get up and stand every 15 minutes: The act of standing up from a seated position has been found particularly effective at counteracting the detrimental health effects of sitting. Stretching your muscles once an hour brings blood flow back to all your extremities increasing the oxygen in your body. Think you can’t get up because you are just too busy? Just set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you.
- Buy a chair built for motion: Get active while sitting at your desk with an active office chair, like the Swopper or Muvman.
These chairs offer three dimensions of motion i.e. vertical bounce, lateral sway and forward tilt – all simultaneously and intuitively. Eight hours a day on a Swopper chair can deliver more motion than you would get on a bike ride or a hike at the weekend, with the added benefit of doing it while you work.
- Make your office set-up slightly inconvenient. Take that printer off your desk and put it in the back of the office. While you’re at it, request the desk farthest from the kitchen. Or do some lunges on the way back to picking up your very important papers. In a world of convenience, making things slightly inconvenient in terms of proximity can provide ample opportunities to move throughout the day.
- Create walking meetings. Next time you have a one-on-one scheduled with a coworker, suggest doing the meeting while walking around the building or better yet, outside. You’ll benefit from the increased blood flow, circulation and vitamin D.
- Stretch at your desk. When we sit, our muscles become tight, sore and tense. Stand several times a day at your desk and complete the following five stretches to give your muscles a much needed break from sitting:
- Standing Neck Stretch: Hold for 20 seconds on each side.
- Shoulder Blade Squeeze: Round your shoulders, then pull them back and pull down. Repeat for 20-30 seconds.
- Standing Hip Stretch: Holding on to your desk, cross your left leg over your right thigh and “sit down” by bending your right leg. Repeat on the other side.
- Open Chest Stretch: Sit near the edge of a chair and interlace your fingers behind you, with your palms facing your back. Leaning slightly forward, lift your arms and rest them on the back of the chair. Inhale and lift your chest. Exhale and relax your shoulders away from your ears.
- Side Lunge: Starting with your feet together, take a step sideways, and bend down as if you’re about to sit. Use your arms for balance by reaching out in front of you. Return to starting position.
Finding ways to incorporate movement into your workday can help offset the physical and health hazards sitting for long periods of time can bring. If you work an office job, making a conscious effort to focus on movement, posture and exercise is one of the most effective ways to ensure your job isn’t hurting your health and well-being.
~ Jenn Lytle, Customer Service Director & Social Marketing
In today’s work crazed culture, we spend a lot of time sitting behind our desks. Probably more than we realize. We all know it is not good to be inactive for long periods of time. There are studies that show it’s even worse than smoking because of what it does to your body, and the years it can take off of your life. What’s worse, is experts say you can’t make up for the damage done during the day by working out in the evenings.
I am a pretty active person – boating, hiking and being outdoors are all hobbies I enjoy. I also happen to work in an office environment, so I know first hand how important it is to incorporate movement into your day.
The best way I have found to date is to bring movement into every moment of your day at the office, by using a motion chair, like the swopper. Now, as the CEO of Via Seating, who distributes the swopper chair and other motion seating products, I certainly am biased, but here are my 10 reasons why a swopper chair outperforms your regular office chair.
10 Reasons Why You Need a swopper Chair
1. It’s fun. Work is serious and often stressful. Almost everyone smiles the moment they sit and bounce on a swopper. At any moment you can have a fun bounce or three dimensional swerve that is much more entertaining than being confined to a normal chair.
2. At the end of the day, You’ll feel better. I always hope to work out every day but I don’t always have the time. Having moved all day on my swopper chair is invigorating. It is not a hard-core workout but rather a continuous motion that keeps my heart more active and my circulation flowing.
3. It’s comfortable. The swopper chair helps me maintain a proper hip-spine angle, keep my back engaged, and my core active. Sitting properly becomes natural and I don’t have those aches and pains I sometimes get from sitting improperly in some chairs.
4. The transition from sitting to standing is effortless. In a normal chair, sometimes when you get up you have a head rush or your legs are wobbly because you need to get the blood flowing. When you go from moving and bouncing on a swopper to standing not only is it assisted by the bounce in the chair, but your body is ready to move and start walking.
5. It keeps your muscles loose. There are studies that show vigorous exercise followed by long periods of inactivity can cause someone to be more prone to injury. In other words, constantly moving keeps everything lubricated and warm vs. rigid, tight, and cold.
6. It is a great conversation piece. Everyone wants to discuss how you like sitting on a Swopper. You are the opposite of a wallflower. When you use a chair like the swopper, people assume you’re on the cutting edge of innovation and are a natural, confident leader.
7. You burn calories. Studies have shown you will burn up to 500 calories a day sitting on a swopper vs. a normal chair. That’s equivalent to Running at 6 MPH (a ten minute mile) for 42 minutes.
8. It’s a lifestyle and commitment to consistently do what is best for your body in a low impact way. Day after day, week after week, month after month this adds up. The swopper chair is not about just sitting and bouncing every now and then. The positive circulation, respiratory effects on your internal organs, sitting properly vs. slouching over your desk, both have an incredible cumulative effect over time.
9. You’ll be smarter and feel happier. Studies have shown that you learn and retain more information when you are active vs. being stationary. There is a positive mental and spiritual impact to having been moving all day vs. being cooped up behind your desk.
10.You don’t have to think about it. When you are sitting on a swopper, no effort is required. You will just move and it will be natural. You don’t have to make yourself do something that will have all these positive effects. You won’t even be aware how much you have moved but you will go home feeling less fatigued and more ready to enjoy the balance of the day.
Do I have you convinced to ditch your regular office chair for a swopper? I can tell you that after sitting on a Swopper myself, I cannot imagine going back to a stationary chair. The change this chair brings to your health, wellbeing and mood throughout the day is truly impressive.
So, try a swopper. Not only will you not regret it, you will be telling your friends all the reasons they should try one as well.
~ Chas Hepler, CEO
All of us over at swopper are buzzing with excitement over the newest addition to our family – the 3dee active-office-chair. In a nutshell, this chair is the perfect seating option for anyone looking to incorporate more movement into their day, but aren’t ready for the full on commitment of a sit-to-stand chair, like the muvman, or a backless chair, like the swopper.
Basically, 3dee allows you to get all the health benefits of movement throughout the day, while blending in seamlessly with your coworkers who haven’t caught on yet.
As swopper’s Director of Sales & Marketing, I’ve gotten a lot of first-hand experience sitting on the 3Dee before it’s been released, I thought I’d share with you some of the things I love about this chair.
1. “The Most Innovative Chair in the World!” That statement isn’t just a tag line…it’s the truth. The first thing that caught my eye with 3dee is the design. It’s sleek, contemporary, fun, sexy and makes a bold statement. It’s unlike any chair you’ve ever seen. It belongs in a James Bond movie with a martini on the side.
2. Obviously, with its swopper-based inspiration, you’re getting the same health and wellness benefits with 3dee and you are with the swopper, but within a more mainstream looking chair. You can tell a lot of thought and engineering went into 3dee. Everything is designed to promote the movement and comfort of the person sitting it. Even the back and lumbar are completely adjustable to make the chair suited to your preferences.
3. When you sit on 3dee for the first time, you will know immediately it’s unlike any other chair you’ve tried before. The smooth (and I mean smooth!) lateral and vertical motion feels great and is just plain fun. Who knew that something as simple as a chair could actually make your work day a little bit more fun and be healthy for you at the same time?
The response we received, when 3dee had its North American debut at Neocon last month, was amazing. First off, every person who sat on it immediately smiled and said how comfortable the motion was and how “free” they could move on it. The chair follows you instead of making you conform to it. The old saying “The best position is your next position” is spot on here. In fact “Every position on 3dee is your best position”.
The 3dee active-office-chair exemplifies our philosophy here at swopper:
– Combating static postures (sitting and standing)
– Working those core muscles that we abuse all day long when stuck sitting behind a desk or computer
– Creating ongoing intuitive healthy motion
– Bringing some FUN into your workday!
We were meant to move, and with the addition of 3dee, you now have three easy ways to incorporate movement into your workday. Learn more about the 3dee chair over on our website, or leave a comment here and I’ll respond personally.
~ Sandra Bowie, Director of Motion Seating
Innovation comes slower to the office furniture industry than others. Its common place now, but it took 30 years for the industry to adopt height adjustable chairs. The main reason being:
- Early height adjustable desks were expensive. If a company was outfitting new offices, something like an adjustable desk was a cost that couldn’t be justified even though many employees probably would have preferred to work that way.
- The idea that sitting 8-10 hours behind a desk could be bad for you was an unforeseen problem that has since turned into an epidemic in the workplace.
- There weren’t a lot of options to choose from. Now you can get different mechanisms, sizes and finishes and easily design them to work within an existing environment.
Sit to stand desks have been prevalent in Europe for many years, but the U. S. has been slow to adopt this work style until recently.
People and corporations are finally paying more attention to the health implications of the way their employees work as it’s having a significant impact on their business i.e absenteeism, workers compensation claims, presenteeism, employee retention etc.
As advocates of motion seating, we, of course, stand firmly behind this trend and support the adoption of height adjustable workstations as the benefits of sit-to-stand desks contribute to the active office.
What’s frustrating is seeing these desks being used with a standard chair or drafting stool. Reason being:
- If using a standard task chair, the user is being forced to either sit or stand (nothing in between). Research has shown that standing for long periods of time can be just as bad as sitting for long periods of time.
- If using a drafting stool, the user is still sitting in the same static posture, just at a different height.
The beauty of an height adjustable desk is it has all the range of motion to encourage the user to change positions all day. But typically without a height adjustable chair, the user eventually doesn’t bother changing the desk height at all and goes back to their old bad habits.
This is where muvman comes in! Welcome to new heights…and everything in between.
The muvman stool is the ideal sit-to-stand companion. This stool has a 13” travel range from 20”-33” which means you can go from sitting, to perching, to standing and every level in between. This is ideal because you are not limited on how much you move and change your position throughout the workday. In addition to the great height range, muvman also offers:
- A pre-set 4 degree forward tilt – this ensures that you’re always sitting/perching in a proper posture and at the proper angle to work at hand. Eliminates “hunching” over your work.
- The muvzone – where the column meets the base – is where all the lateral and forward motion occurs. It’s a safe movement, as your feet are always on the ground (think tri-pod), and you control how much motion you want. The nice thing is, with that subtle motion you are working your core abdominal muscles, legs and back. You’re also keeping circulation moving which helps concentration and focus…not to mention it’s also FUN!
- And that height range mentioned previously, well that’s controlled by two cleverly designed buttons (no knobs or paddles to break off!) integrated into the seat pan on both the right and left side, so you can use either one.
Bottom line, the muvman is the ultimate companion to height adjustable tables. That’s our story and we’re sticking to it because research has shown it’s a healthier way to work.
~ Chas Hepler, President & CEO
Working with swopper.com is very special to me. Our company is very passionate about delivering great products that improve peoples’ health and wellness at work. This is something we all care about deeply. For me it is especially important, because I have experienced this first hand.
Here’s my story:
In my early teens I was diagnosed with Kyphosis. This is best described as a curve in the spine.
I came very close to having a full spinal fusion at that time, which is surgery to join, or fuse, two or more vertebrae. Spinal fusion is considered major surgery. Thankfully the specialist I was referred to recommended a combination of physical therapy and a back cast instead, so I dodged a bullet.
The condition never got in my way or limited my activities growing up. In school and college I was very active in sports and the like. When I graduated from college I started my career in retail banking. The nature of my work required me to sit in an office chair for extended periods during the day. I found at the end of my workday my back was sore, tired and it was difficult for me to stand completely upright.
Fast forward about eight years later; a friend of mine who happened to be a chiropractor, introduced me to swopper. He was very passionate about what the chair could do, and suggested that I give it a try. I remember thinking it looked cool, and so I sat on it. That moment literally changed my life!
I immediately, within seconds of sitting, felt incredible relief in my spine. Even better, for the first time in my adult life, I had no back pain! I describe the pain I had experienced as a little gray cloud, not debilitating by any means, but just a nagging consciousness of discomfort more so than anything. I had become resigned to it. But when I sat on swopper that day, my little gray cloud went ‘puff’. I was immediately conscious of not having pain. I will never forget it!
This experience was a turning point in my life. I immediately realized that what happened to me was incredible, and then I thought, “This could help other people too.” Long story short, I became an advocate for Swopper and went on the road telling my story.
I began to research low back pain (LBP) and found that LBP was the second most common reason for an American to see a healthcare professional. I also discovered that 75% of Americans were required to sit at work. To me these facts were directly linked. With more research, I discovered that poor posture while sitting is one of the main causes of LBP. Then the penny dropped! I realized I only became conscious of my back pain when I started my career and started sitting all day. I was in an office and I was sitting, most likely in poor postures with no reason to get up and move. No wonder I had pain!
So why did swopper help me?
1. It corrected my posture. The bounce (vertical motion) immediately corrected my spine and put it into a neutral position. The combination of the convex seat shape and the forward tilt allowed my pelvis to rotate forward. This allowed me to stay in that neutral posture very easily as a result.
2. I had no back support with Swopper. This meant I had to support myself in an upright position. This made me engage my core muscles and therefore condition and train these muscles around my correct posture. This had a long-term benefit of improving my posture even when I was not sitting on swopper, because when I was sitting I was exercising and getting stronger.
The best part of all was that I was doing this unconsciously. I mean I didn’t have to think about it, I didn’t have to adjust anything, I just had to sit on Swopper.
3. All of the movement; bouncing, forward tilt and lateral movement was intuitive. If I moved it moved with me. I couldn’t sit still for long as it encouraged me to move. This movement kept me from being static, it kept me from locking up or feeling stiff. I always felt that way when I sat in an office chair.
As a result of this experience, I developed a need to learn more and became a certified ergonomist. Now I have the opportunity to share my experience but also help educate others on the healthful benefits of swopper.
My main message for those considering using swopper – Try it! Even if you don’t have back pain, it will prevent you from getting it. At the very least, it will change the way you work and change the way you think about how you work. But who knows, it could very well change your life too!
Nora Fenlon – CAE
Welcome to the official swopper blog. We are a group of passionate motion seating experts who work and play at swopper headquarters in Reno-Sparks, NV. On this blog, we’ll share personal stories, health & wellness tips and everything you ever wanted to know about our motion seating products including the swopper, muvman and 3dee chairs.
Here’s a bit more about each of us:
Chas Hepler: President & CEO
Chas…what can we say? His vision for swopper and all of our motion products is why we are here today. When Chas first sat on swopper, he immediately understood the need for this product and the whole motion seating philosophy. His vision has been the driving force in bringing the motion seating portfolio of products together under one roof. He is a brand champion and a very active swopper user. Chas is the chief strategist behind motion seating, and is dedicated to making motion seating products available to everyone. Follow Chas posts on his personal journey to a healthier work life through sitting in motion.
Nora Fenlon: VP Sales & Marketing
Nora is to swopper what a pen is to paper. She fell in love with swopper over 15 years ago, and has dedicated herself to helping it become main stream ever since. Nora shares her experience overcoming back pain with swopper. As a result of this firsthand experience, she is driven to help educate others on the healthful benefits of motion seating. That’s why she became a certified ergonomist. Nora hails from Ireland originally and now is a proud permanent resident of the US. Follow Nora’s posts for the science behind our products with a dose of her personal experiences with swopper.
Sandra Bowie: Motion Seating Director
Sandra, is the driving force behind swopper whether she is attending a trade show or telling the story behind the products. We look to her for guidance in all things movement. Sandra is passionate about our motion products and even worked directly with Aeris, the German manufacturer for over a year to understand swopper, muvman and 3dee completely. The knowledge she brings to the table on these chairs is extremely valuable.
Look for Sandra’s posts to explain the ins and outs of motion seating, the benefits for health and wellness, and her perspective as an expert about swopper.
Tom Robinson: Creative Director
If you can think it, Tom will create it! Swopper wouldn’t be what it is without his special touches whether that is an email, infographic or a doctored photo…the creative curb appeal is all Tom! Tom will bring a creative flair to our blog through images, infographics and more.
Jenn Lytle: Customer Service Director & Social Marketing
Jenn, is the social media maven here at swopper. She oversees the day to day operations of our blog, website, Facebook page, LinkedIn and more. In addition, Jenn handles our customer service; making sure all our customers are thrilled with their experience with our products.
Jenn is our problem solver and our go-to person for literally anything – and she does it all with a smile on her face. Jenn’s writing is a perfect mix of her passion for Swopper and her upbeat, funny personality.
In addition to our regular bloggers above, we’re planning to bring you guest posts from experts and real people who use swopper, muvman and 3dee to maximize their health.
We’re looking forward to going on this blogging journey with you. If you ever have a question, blog idea or just want to say “hi!” leave us a comment or send a note on our contact us page.
Cheers to moving ahead!
~ Team Swopper