Who knew that doing your 9 to 5 job could be contributing to the downfall of your health?
“Sitting is the new smoking.”
“Sitting for long periods of time at work can take years off of your life.”
Headlines like these have raised awareness to the dangers of sitting behind a desk all day – rest assured, for every problem there’s a solution and via seating has the perfect one for you!
At a recent show, more specifically the biggest international exhibition of workplace furniture in the world – Orgatec, new trends were defined and expanded on the idea of “sit to stand”. Orgatec is a biennial gage of what’s happening in the workplace specifically for trends and insights that are transforming office spaces as we know it.
Some emerging trends touched on the idea of shorter formal meetings – where standing desks and leaning chairs made the meetings more informal, shorter and played on the idea of keeping things concise. With $37 billion lost per year in the US to unproductive meetings – who isn’t for having a ‘leg up’ on production (no pun intended).
While “sitting is the new smoking”, stand up workstations and meeting spaces (with leaning chairs) aren’t for everyone. Keeping this in mind, a healthier compromise has been met – the “sit to stand” option! via seating takes pride in being on trend with its aeris line of motion seating products, specifically muvman. muvman responds to the motion of the sitter with a sit to stand/lean option, allowing for more flexibility. muvman allows you to work at a sitting as well as a standing position with the option of heights in-between! This way you can enjoy the full range of motion at any desk and not be confined to sitting or standing and weighing in at 13lbs, muvman is the perfect solution for any area where a small footprint is required.
Having an active office with a height adjustable desk and a muvman is committing to a healthy lifestyle that will improve your calorie burn, give you more energy and increase your productivity – not to mention, you’ll be so on trend!
Have you ever done your research and started thinking…did I cover my most important questions? We are here to help answer your questions on the swopper chair, here are the top 3 questions we receive about them.
How do you sit correctly on a swopper?
Sit down in the center of the swopper seat so that the spring strut becomes an extension of your spine. Keep your balance with your buttocks and both legs with your feet flat on the floor.
Your pelvis should be slightly higher than your knees to form an open angle between hips and knees, this benefits your circulation. Bounce around a few times and you will then automatically sit up straight and your diaphragm is freed to help you breathe more deeply. Your body alignment enhances your intellectual performance by improving the supply of oxygen to your body.
If you are using the swopper at work, you need to shift your weight to move the seat towards your desk. This automatically brings your body into a position in which your spine moves freely and upright over the slightly inclined pelvis which helps you keep your back straight. The spring strut of the swopper automatically takes over the forward tilt that your spine has to manage on its own when using a conventional office chair, which takes the hunchback sitting position out of the equation.
Can I sit all day without a backrest?
The swopper is completely different than conventional chairs, with a conventional office chair, you do need a back support on it because you sit for long periods without moving. however, your muscles are not made for hours of holding one position as this is what causes tension and backache. On the swopper, however, your back remains constantly active and in motion and at any time your body starts to feel fatigued you should begin moving on your swopper . This trains and strengthens your back and core muscles to help support your body in a better more balanced way.
What is the difference between a classic swopper and swopper air?
The classic swopper substructure is an all “foam seat head” with fabric over it. It has a “firmer sit.”
With the swopper air, we are using a material that’s not foam. The hi-tech “3dea” material is used in i.c.u. beds and offers the following characteristics along with a “softer sit”:
- very resilient
- supportive where pressure is applied yet without pressure points
- breathable due to its woven nylon filament
- seat cover is a woven knit material that’s also very breathable and heat regulating.
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know now that we feel passionate about getting people out of their sedentary lifestyles. Sitting all day has been shown time and again in studies to negatively impact our health and wellbeing both physically and mentally.
Following are some of the best reasons to get up out of your seat and move. Hopefully, these top ten reasons why you shouldn’t sit all day, will be the motivation you need to change your daily habits.
- We simply were not meant to sit all day. Evolution has not evolved from our hunting and gathering days to the point where our bodies are programmed to sit statically. In fact,we are meant to move and be active. Forcing our body to sit still for long periods of time is not a good thing.
- It is unhealthy. When you sit down in a chair multiple things happen. Your calorie burn goes close to zero. Your circulation is reduced and restricted. The amount of oxygen you take in is reduced. Your organs are crowded and squished together. All this has been linked to multiple diseases including cardiovascular, diabetes, heart, and other ailments including skeletal issues.
- It’s no fun. Sitting slows down everything in our body. We tend to get more tired and have less energy. We tend to reach for sweets and caffeine to offset these effects. These combinations can increase mood swings and make people more irritable.
- Exercising after work doesn’t do it. We tend to compensate for all the inactivity of working all day by vigorously exercising after work. Studies show that this does not make up for the damage done to the body from inactivity and everything we can do to increase activity during the day greatly improves health.
- Bad things accumulate. A disease doesn’t happen overnight. Mostly sitting statically for 8 to 10 hours a day, day after day, adds up. The impact and negative effects might not show up until later but they are happening. Sitting actively, day after day, also has a cumulative effect and this is very healthy for your body.
- It costs a lot of money to counteract these negative effects. Once the toll of sitting all day has wrecked havoc on your health, you’ll be in overdrive in other areas to regain your health.
- Brain function is reduced as well. Again, less blood flow and less brain enhancing hormones are flowing to the brain when you sit stationary. This reduces concentration and impedes learning and performance.
- Chairs often cause back and other pain The chairs we sit in are not necessarily ergonomically designed for us or proper for our body and we sit in ways that can be detrimental to our back, arms, and joints throughout our body.
- Your muscle mass is shrinking – Your muscles break down from inactivity and you become weaker, which reduces the amount of blood that is pumped to your heart. Your bone mass is also reduced up to 1% a year.
- It’s killing you. Sedentary sitting for an average of 6 hours a day 5 days a week increases the chance of dying from heart disease by 64%, while prostate or breast cancer increases by 30%.
The facts are undeniable; sitting stationary all day is terrible for your mind and body. By investing in a motion chair like swopper, muvman, oyo or 3Dee, you will mitigate all the negative effects of sitting mentioned above, while also having some fun.
President & CEO
One of my favorite parts of my job is traveling to trade shows and conference where attendees can visit our booth and sit on a swopper for the first time. Seeing their expression after that first moment of bouncing, tilting and swaying on a swopper is priceless.
Here are the four most common first reactions I see people have with the swopper.
“This chair is so fun to sit on!”
I can honestly say every time I’ve witnessed someone sit on a swopper for the first time, their immediate reaction is a BIG SMILE followed by “this is fun!” Often we’ll hear that the movement of the swopper reminds them of their childhood toys – think pogo stick, hippity hop, jump rope, wagons, rocking horses, and wobble boards (all the toys that kept us moving as children).
“There are a lot of health benefits to the swopper, huh?”
Other times, people’s immediately focus when sitting on the swopper is the fact that they are working their core and their back posture is feeling better and that this “fun” item could actually be a very beneficial health and wellness tool – one they could incorporate anywhere (office or home).
When I’m dealing with chiropractors or others within the healthcare industry, they can pretty much assume what the swopper will be doing before they even sit on it. Yet again…they even get the BIG SMILE.
“This chair looks so unique.”
Sometimes people’s first reaction is solely based on the look of the swopper. It’s as if it’s some alien device, and they aren’t sure how to approach it. However, once you explain how it moves and gently prod them to give it a try….wait, here it comes…the BIG SMILE happens once again!
The swopper is definitely a conversation piece and the design alone commands attention.
“My kids would love this.”
The fourth impression I’m receiving more of these days is coming from parents. Parents with kids who love to play video games…for hours! Yes, our kids choices of toys has changed dramatically these days. Unfortunately for many, these video games are taking the place of all the active physical fun things we should be encouraging.
Enter swopper. Parents are looking at swopper with the thought “If they are going to be sitting for hours playing video games, lets at least put them on a swopper, which would encourage them to move while playing.
And yes, I’ve seen young adults try swopper and again….a BIG SMILE!!
The bottom line is … Swopper = Fun =
If you’d like to give a swopper a try and experience that BIG SMILE yourself, we are offering free returns through October 31st. No risk, no hassle, just pure fun.
~ Sandra Bowie
What does it take to motivate a child? Could it be that one small change in seating options can help facilitate a whole new level of focusing on learning?
Michelle reached out to us months prior to school starting this year, she is a special education teacher that was ultimately curious as to how her students, many of whom are on the Autism spectrum, would react to a whole new way of active seating. We sent her two swopper chairs to use in her special education classroom and we wanted to share some of her feedback from the first month of school.
“Teaching seven 3rd-5th graders, all but one is on the Autistic spectrum and you should have seen their excitement for the newest additions to our classroom!! These students are used to having access to occupational therapy type jumping platforms, therapy balls etc…when they found out they couldn’t keep the chairs and they were just on loan there were many a pouty face to be seen.
After explaining that these were “work” chairs the students went to work!! Here’s some of my favorite feedback from the experience.
One student who speaks VERY little said “chair…can I have the red chair? I like the chair.” This is a huge win as he seldom requests anything!!
One student who dislikes doing work more than most had been sitting in a regular chair and chose to work longer while he sat on the swopper chair.
A few students comment that they want the cool chair and they all find it FUN!
I especially find that the students that have low core muscle tone have benefited the children to help build their core muscles and help maintain better-working positions in the swopper chair.
My overall feel for this seating solution is that when my students are having fun, they are more engaged and when they are more engaged they are learning more!!
Michelle R., M.Ed.
Special Education Teacher
Thank you for reading!
You spend a lot of time in your office chair, so when purchasing a new one, you want to make sure it is the perfect fit for your needs. Our motion chairs are so unique that often we hear from customers that they just don’t know where to start in choosing one.
Here at Via Seating, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. If you feel stumped at all on choosing a chair, I personally will hop on the phone with you to talk through every option and how they could fit your lifestyle.
Some of the questions I may ask you include:
Are you glued to your computer all day? Is the phone literally attached to you?
Are you a wanderer worker? Back and forth to your desk to the conference room?
The easy to carry muvman is ideal for you.
Do you use a standing desk, work behind a counter-height desk or like to adjust your height all day?
Definitely a muvman perching chair.
Do you just love to get a little exercise snuck in during the day?
Does your back often get sore or your muscles fatigued while sitting?
With the swopper chair, when you feel your body starting to feel fatigued from sitting in one spot, you immediately can rectify the situation by moving side to side or by bouncing up and down to get your muscles and blood flowing right away!
Depending on what your routine looks like at work or at home, we can help you pick out the best motion office chair for your needs. Call or email me anytime to start discussing which office chair is best for you!
855.272.5074 or firstname.lastname@example.org
~ Jenn Lytle
“Sitting is the new smoking,” “Sitting for long periods of time at work can take years off of your life,” “Static sitting contributes to chronic disease.” These are just some of the headlines that have raised awareness to the dangers of sitting behind a desk in front of a computer all day.
The answer for many people is: If sitting is bad, I will stand. Height adjustable desks are the rage. The problem is, there are issues with standing all day long as well…
- It loads up on your joints
- It can contribute to foot issues like plantar fasciitis
- You can get into bad standing postures aggravating issues in your hips and back
- Your heart has to work extra hard to fight gravity and get blood to your brain
Muvman is the ultimate solution for people that buy height adjustable desks. It is a perching chair. First of all, it has a range of 20” to 33” inches tall. This allows you to go all the way from a sitting position to almost standing with having enough weight on the chair to take the load off your joints while allowing a full range of motion.
Muvman allows you to work at any of the heights in-between, so you can use the full range of motion of the desk and not just be stuck with sitting or standing. When you want to stand, Muvman only weighs 13lbs so you can simply lift it out of the way under the desk. When you have a normal office chair with a standing desk, it is in the way when you want to stand, and it takes up a large footprint.
Disease doesn’t happen overnight. It is the cumulative effect of lifestyle choices over time. Sitting for 8+ hours a day, day after day, is not good and reduces circulation, reduces the amount of oxygen you take in and have in your bloodstream that goes to your brain, and slows your metabolism to practically zero. Having an active office with a height adjustable desk and a Muvman is committing to a healthy lifestyle that will improve your calorie burn, give you more energy, and increase your productivity.
Is muvman the right choice for you? Please call 855.272.5074 for a free phone consultation on what motion product fits best for you and your working environment!
~ Chas Hepler
More and more of the workforce is leaving the office environment and embracing the work-from-home trend. Working from home is no longer relegated for independent contractors. In fact, many companies are eschewing the traditional office for better work life balance in an effort to attract top talent, regardless of where they’re located.
While working from home has many benefits, there are some potential issues. Follow the below tips to make working from home a success for yourself and your team.
- Keep to a Routine: It’s easy to get lax while working at home. Keep yourself to a strict routine – like always starting work by 8:30 am, breaking for lunch at noon and stopping for the day at 5:00 pm – to keep yourself on task.
- Set up a proper workspace: Designate an office space for yourself at home so you feel like you’re “going to work” when you enter that space. Get the appropriate work furniture like a stand up desk and Muvman sit to stand stool to make your space inviting and functional.
- Just say no to pajamas: Even though you aren’t seeing people face to face, getting dressed for work each day can help make you feel prepared to tackle your day.
- Reach out to coworkers daily: It’s easy to feel a bit isolated working from home. That’s why it’s important to make sure you’re having calls with coworkers daily to keep the lines of communication open and effective.
- Avoid distractions: A traditional workplace can have a lot of distractions, but working from home brings it’s own set as well. Set up a gate to keep children out of your workspace, don’t work in the same room as a tv and commit to limiting your web browsing.
- Know when to shut down for the day: When your work is at home, it’s easy to feel the urge to ALWAYS be working. Set limits for yourself and prioritize your family/down time too.
- Keep active: One of the perks of working from home is the ability to stay active without the curious stares of coworkers. Get outside in your backyard for a quick workout, go for a lunch time walk or invest in a motion office chair, like swopper, and bounce, tilt or sway the day away.
If you’re lucky enough to work from home, following these tips can make your workday for productive and enjoyable. Leave a comment with any tips you have for making working from home a success!
~ Jenn Lytle
Let’s face it, sitting in an office all day while it’s beautiful outside can be a downer. Summer is a time when the sun is shining, the pool is open and the urge to enjoy the outdoors is overwhelming. Follow these tips to make the most of summer while at your 9-5 office job.
1. Bring your favorite blooms to your desk. Love to garden? Snip some of your favorite backyard blooms to enjoy at your workspace all day.
2. Take your active time outdoors. We all know it’s good to take frequent breaks to get up and move your body. This summer, take those breaks outdoors by taking a walk around your workplace to enjoy the sun.
3. Organize a team outing. Summer is a great time to get your work team together for some team building. Find a local high ropes course, go to a baseball game or volunteer to plant flowers at a local park.
4. Keep active at your desk. Something about summer makes you want to move your body. Burn off your extra energy while sitting at your desk with a motion chair. Bounce, tilt and sway while getting lost in your work.
5. Talk your boss into summer Fridays or early release in the summer. Many progressive workplaces understand the need for work life balance – especially in the summer. Once a month summer Fridays or summer early release hours can help employees enjoy the longer days.
Let us know how you plan to enjoy the weather this summer! Leave a comment with your favorite way to spend the summer days.
~ Jenn Lytle
Let’s face it, sitting at a desk all day can wreck havoc on your body. Muscles sit unused and gains at the gym seem to waste away. Beyond taking breaks to walk, it can feel like there’s nothing you can do to combat the negative affects of sitting all day.
Thankfully with a bit of ingenuity, you can bring elements of your fitness routine right to your desk with simple, effective exercises that can be done at your desk.
Here are some of our favorite desk exercises to stay active in the office:
- Tricep dips. Utilize your desk to strengthen your upper arms and core.
- Wooden Leg: Or another term for leg lifts. Right from your chair you can strengthen your thighs, core and calve muscles.
- Invisible chair sit: Take a few minutes every few hours to do some squats right at your desk for a great all-body workout.
- Desk push ups: Use your desk again to do some angled push ups at your desk. Or impress your coworkers by doing traditional floor pushups every now and then.
- Invest in a motion chair: Keep your body in motion all day long without even thinking about it by using a swopper, muvman or 3dee motion chair. You can even burn up to 500 extra calories per day using one of these chairs, while also strengthening your body, core and legs.
Working in an office all day does not mean you have to lose your physical strength. Use these exercises to keep your shape up. Have some desk exercises to add? Leave your ideas in the comments!
~ Jenn Lytle