If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know now that we feel passionate about getting people out of their sedentary lifestyles. Sitting all day has been shown time and again in studies to negatively impact our health and wellbeing both physically and mentally.
Following are some of the best reasons to get up out of your seat and move. Hopefully these top ten reasons why you shouldn’t sit all day, will be the motivation you need to change your daily habits.
- We simply were not meant to sit all day. Evolution has not evolved from our hunting and gathering days to the point where our bodies are programed to sit statically. In fact we are meant to move and be active. Forcing our body to sit still for long periods of time is not a good thing.
- It is unhealthy. When you sit down in a chair multiple things happen. Your calorie burn goes close to zero. Your circulation is reduced and restricted. The amount of oxygen you take in is reduced. Your organs are crowded and squished together. All this has been linked to multiple diseases including cardio vascular, diabetes, heart, and other ailments including skeletal issues.
- It’s no fun. Sitting slows down everything in our body. We tend to get more tired and have less energy. We tend to reach for sweets and caffeine to offset these effects. These combinations can increase mood swings and make people more irritable.
- Exercising after work doesn’t do it. We tend to compensate for all the inactivity of working all day by vigorously exercising after work. Studies show that this does not make up for the damage done to the body from inactivity and everything we can do to increase activity during the day greatly improves health.
- Bad things accumulate. Disease doesn’t happen overnight. Mostly sitting statically for 8 to 10 hours a day, day after day, adds up. The impact and negative effects might not show up until later but they are happening. Sitting actively, day after day, also has a cumulative effect and this is very healthy for your body.
- It costs a lot of money to counteract these negative effects. Once the toll of sitting all day has wrecked havoc on your health, you’ll be in overdrive in other areas to regain your health.
- Brain function is reduced as well. Again, less blood flow and less brain enhancing hormones are flowing to the brain when you sit stationary. This reduces concentration and impedes learning and performance.
- Chairs often cause back and other pain The chairs we sit in are not necessarily ergonomically designed for us or proper for our body and we sit in ways that can be detrimental to our back, arms, and joints throughout our body.
- Your muscle mass is shrinking – Your muscles break down from inactivity and you become weaker, which reduces the amount of blood that is pumped to your heart. Your bone mass is also reduced up to 1% a year.
- It’s killing you. Sedentary sitting for an average of 6 hours a day 5 days a week increases the chance of dying from heart disease by 64%, while prostate or breast cancer increases by 30%.
The facts are undeniable; sitting stationary all day is terrible for your mind and body. By investing in a motion chair like swopper, Muvman, OYO or 3Dee, you will mitigate all the negative affects of sitting mentioned above, while also having some fun.
~ Chas Hepler
By now you’ve heard of the dangers of static sitting for long periods of time and the benefits of motion seating. Here at swopper, our motion seating is designed to alleviate back tension, encourage proper posture and improve better circulation. We’d now like to introduce you to swopper Saddle, our first chair to combine all the benefits of motion seating with a saddle-style seat.
With swopper Saddle, you still have the full range of motion as with the swopper Classic or swopper Air – full 360 degree tilt as well as vertical bounce. So why this seating option, versus our traditional swopper stools? Let’s look at how the saddle seat further encourages better posture, mobility and circulation!
Saddle-sitting improves leg circulation and reduces foot swelling. There is no edge to press against your upper leg, and your buttocks and leg muscles are free of contact pressure. The veins and arteries that carry blood to and from your legs are in their most open position. With the angles between upper and lower legs being much wider than usual and the active use of your legs accelerating your metabolism, your legs will really feel much better.
Saddle-sitting improves balance. The spread of the legs, called hip abduction, stabilizes the pelvis in an upright orientation, so you can relax. Your wide foot stance keeps you balanced when you move about. Balance is so dramatically improved that many people with neurological impairments sit independently in a saddle seat.
A saddle seat encourages better posture. The hip joints rest in a relaxed, open position and the spine is in perfect balance when you sit on a saddle chair. The unique seat contour ensures you’ll bend forward from your hips, not from your back. You can reach further and more safely on a saddle chair. Saddle-sitting preserves your spinal curves even when you bend forward, while freeing your legs to move, which helps turning, moving and reaching out for things to be quick and safe.
Typical of all motion products, the swopper Saddle seat does take some getting used to. We recommend you give your body up to two weeks to allow yourself to adjust to any soreness that may be related to an unfamiliar sitting style. There’s good news for all the horse lovers or cyclists – this seating option will feel pretty natural!
~ Aleta Simmons
For 15% off on pre-sale orders of the new OYO – use coupon code OYO15% on swopper.com
We can’t contain our excitement any more here at Swopper – it’s finally time to share with you our latest addition to the motion line of seating … OYO, the chair!
By now we all know that research points to an alarming conclusion: prolonged sitting is a public health issue. Americans, on average, spend eight hours a day sitting, yet few realize the health consequences they are suffering as a result.
That’s why we work tirelessly with our German manufacturer, Aeris, to formulate motion seating chairs that will get people moving again. The latest addition to this revolutionary line of motion chairs is OYO.
A strikingly beautiful design with cross functionality from task to collaborative to conferencing applications, OYO chair offers soothing rocking motion combined with optimal spinal support.
When you first look at the OYO chair, it prompts the questions; is it a saddle-seat with a backrest? Or a cantilever framed chair? Or perhaps it’s a rocking chair? The answer is it’s all of the above! (Plus a whole lot more).
OYO moves you in ways you never thought possible. It cradles, bounces and rocks, inviting you to try many different sitting positions. This chair truly takes motion to the next level and will ensure its users optimize their health all while sitting.
OYO is a style icon that adds an exclamation point to any contemporary, high-design environment. It is available in six colors including red, orange, kiwi (green), pacific (blue), graphite (dark gray) and sandstone (light gray). Initially swopper.com will carry kiwi, pacific, graphite and red.
We’re excited to be the only US distributor of OYO, which will be ready for distribution this fall. We want everyone to experience the health benefits that OYO and motion seating offer, so we’re extending our early-bird, pre-order special pricing exclusively to our blog readers.
We’d love to hear your feedback on OYO! Please leave a comment or question on this blog and we’ll answer it asap.
Cheers to more ways to keep moving!
~ Jenn Lytle
Scroll to the bottom of this post for a limited-time 15% off coupon for Swopper Classic!
Here at Swopper, we really appreciate our staff, and would love for you to get to know us better. We are celebrating Fourth of July by taking the 3rd of July off to spend with our families, but we thought it might be nice to share a few special family traditions from some of our employees. Please feel free to share your special memories with us as well; we’d like to make a tradition of sharing those with our team after the holiday weekend.
“Every summer my family would go to Clear Lake, California. We would all load in our boat and drive over to watch the fireworks over the lake and “ooo & aww” together. I still love this to this day.”
“Independence Day means heading up to Lake Tahoe to enjoy the mountain air, swim in the clear blue water, enjoy some ice cold libations, and end the day watching the fireworks in Kings Beach. The bright reflections on the still water make the fireworks show that much better! Happy 4th of July!”
“Every year we pile up in the back of the truck and go up to the top of the mountain overlooking downtown Reno and Sparks to watch the fireworks go off. We tune into the radio station that synchronizes the music to the show, which is our favorite part. It’s awesome!”
My favorite memory, one that I have continued with my children, is to go to South Lake Tahoe, CA. We watch the fireworks from the backyard of a home on the South shore so that we can see 4 different fireworks shows from across the lake. The closest one is the downtown area, and these are spectacular to watch as they reflect off the lake. We cuddle in blankets and all sit together with family, friends, and pets after a day of bbq’ing. Happy 4th of July!
We hope you have a safe holiday weekend!
– Jennifer Lytle – Director, Customer Service
It seems as though every tradeshow I present swopper at, I always get a few women who say “this would have been great when I was pregnant” or “I used a physio ball during labor.” They immediately follow-up that sentence with “swopper feels so much more stable and safe, but gives the same benefits.”
Not having children (do furry babies count?), I decided to do some research on this as this was an application we don’t typically connect with swopper. We tend to associate swopper with an office setting, but when you stop and think about it, a motion chair is ideal for many non-office settings, including pregnancy.
What I found through my research is:
- The angle swopper puts you in helps relieve pressure on your back and joints, while also being adjustable to fit each individual.
- Swopper encourages gentle bouncing, which has been shown to encourage the baby to move into proper positions prior to labor.
- The chair also gets mom rocking and pelvic tilting, which again encourages the baby into a proper position and help relieve stress and pain on the mother.
- Exercise can tend to get limited as a pregnancy progresses. The simple motion on a swopper can help with circulation and keeping the body limber all while toning muscles.
- Mothers should trade a chair for a swopper at the computer, table or even while watching TV. This way they will strengthen the lower back and have that open hip/spine angle. Making them more comfortable but also preparing them for stress of labor.
- Studies have shown that the kind of motions you do on a swopper can help speed up the labor process and also make it shorter (I’m sure any mother would love that!)
Another bonus use for swopper is for feeding and comforting a baby. Pacing for hours can be exhausting for a new mom, but simply rocking or gently bouncing can put a baby to sleep. Just make sure you are comfortable getting on and off without losing your balance before trying to sit down with a baby in your arms.
We recently shared swopper with mom blogger A Mom’s Take, who happened to be pregnant. Here’s what she had to say about using swopper during her pregnancy “Our chair arrived just before baby #5, and I loved used it while pregnant, especially. It gives you a lot of the feel of a yoga ball, without rolling away and being so low to the ground.”
~ Sandra Bowie
Here at Swopper, we love our dads! We also have several dads who work in our offices. This year we decided the dad’s we know deserve the best of the best, so we scoured our favorite brands and websites for the ultimate Father’s Day gift guide for when you want to spoil dad good.
- The social drinker… He likes to have company over to share the top American whiskey. Buy your dad, father in law, or special guy in your life the best money has to offer. Thomas H. Handy Sazerac offers a straight Rye Whiskey for around $399.
- The gadget guy…He likes to show off the latest watch, phone, or electronic, and loves to compare notes with other techy types. Indulge his inner geek with an apple watch, because no one does tech quite like Apple. Starting at $599
- The work-a-holic… He doesn’t just go to work – he practically lives there. Get your dad something he can beproud to sit on, combined with an ergonomic solution that may spare his back and pain or discomfort. The 3Dee Active Office Chair is German made and almost as good as the new BMW he wants. Starting at $1,395. For a limited time you can get Dad a 3Dee or Muvman, our popular sit-to-stand chair, for 15% off. Use coupon code FATHERSDAY15% on Swopper.com.
- The sports fan… In the past you’ve purchased coffee mugs, t-shirts, tie’s, blankets, and misc other team logo items for dad. It’s time to level up! Purchase an in person visit to his favorite player, and really gain his attention! #bestdad #sportsfans #dadoftheyear
- The couch potato… for the man that needs a remote for his remote, a chair the leans him forward to better see the game, the guy who eats in front of the TV, and who loves to cheer on his whole family from a seated position. I give you the man fridge. Tastefully designed to fit in with your décor! Starting at $449 it is a steal never to be asked to go get dad another soda again.
Whatever you choose to get dad this year for Father’s Day, let’s commit to making our dad’s feel our love and gratitude, because they deserve it!
Jennifer Lytle – Proud daughter to the best step-dad and father in-law ever!
In our industry it’s not uncommon to hear some people’s complete dismay to the price of some office chairs. Mainly people think ”it’s just a chair, why is it so expensive?”
It’s true that there are chairs that are fairly inexpensive. However these chairs can be low quality. They fulfill temporary need, but most likely within the near future end up in a landfill somewhere and the user has to purchase another one.
At the other end of the spectrum there are the really expensive chairs, but most likely they’re expensive for a reason i.e. materials, design, ergonomics etc. As with anything there’s always a middle ground as well.
The old phrase “you get what you paid for” really hits the target when it comes to office seating products. What people don’t think about is how much use (and abuse!) an office chair gets. For most people an office chair needs to support them for 7+ hours a day, 5 days a week. That adds up to a lot of “SITTING TIME!”
And of course you want to be comfortable and free of back pain during that time frame. This is where the boys get separated from the men – so to speak.
A good office chair is going to be:
- Made with quality, durable components
- Engineered to ensure proper ergonomic functions
- Have options for the individual to make it fit their own needs
- Include a great warranty and service
- Showcase trend-setting design
Often new trends will come with a price attached because it’s new and different. But hey…we all want to be trendsetters!!
All of these add up to make your sitting experience much more enjoyable. What’s your comfort worth? Everyone will have a different answer to this based on personal preferences. But think about this…. we have no problem throwing down money for extremely expensive beds…why? Because it’s comfortable, makes us feel better and we spend half of our lifetime in bed.
Why wouldn’t you think of a good office chair in the same context? You spend a lot of time there too. I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to spend a little more upfront for quality vs spending less and buying the same thing over and over. That definitely adds up in the end.
As we say at Swopper – we are dedicated to the sweet spot of seating! Customized not prescribed.
~ Sandra Bowie
The swopper chair offers the unique benefit of being able to move while you are sitting at a desk. When you sit on a swopper, you’re able to bounce, sway and tilt while maintaining optimal posture. Active sitting on your swopper means you’re able to burn up to 500 calories a day while you work.
Exercising in your swopper chair is a great way to take your experience on a motion chair to the next level. It is a perfect low impact workout that is beneficial for seniors, office workers or those with health limitations. Simple movements can help increase mobility, circulation and performance, while decreasing an individual’s risk of injury.
The following are five exercises that can be performed anytime in your swopper chair:
* Perform each of the following protocols for up to 60 seconds.
* Perform up to 3 sets, depending on health restrictions.
* Pause for 30 seconds between each set.
- Lateral Eagle Ups: Sit tall with your chin parallel to floor. Arms hang freely at sides with thumbs pointed down. Brace core and raise arms until they are extended laterally. Pause and reverse direction. Repeat.
- Turn Downs: Sit tall with your chin parallel to floor. Extend your arms laterally. Bend your arms at the elbows, with the back of your arms now becoming parallel to the floor, palms facing forward. Rotate your arms at your shoulders, allowing your hands to fall forward until your palms become parallel to floor. Pause, contract your shoulder blades and reverse direction. Repeat.
- Side Dips: Sit tall with your chin parallel to the floor. Feet will be shoulder with apart and your hands are resting lightly behind head. Contract your shoulder blades. Brace you core and bend at your right side, reaching your right elbow to the floor. Pause for 5 seconds at the lowest point. Aim to keep evenly balanced on your hips and heels. Reverse direction. Repeat on opposite side.
- Uni-Lateral Holds: Sit tall with your chin parallel to the floor. Brace your core and extend your arms laterally with your palms facing the floor. Raise your right knee as high as possible and hold it for up to 10 seconds. Reverse direction and repeat on opposite side.
- Gas Pedals: Sit tall with chin your parallel to the floor. Let your arms hang freely at your sides. Extend your right leg out in front of the swopper. Brace your core and lift your leg 6 inches from floor. Keeping a tall position with your spine extended and pretend that you are pressing up and down on your car’s gas pedal. Perform for up to 10 seconds. Lower and repeat on opposite side. For modification, simply keep heel in contact with the floor of working leg.
Follow these five simple workouts that you can do on your swopper chair, and you’ll maximize your time sitting. Adding these movements and exercises into your daily work routine will help improve your overall health, fitness, mental clarity, focus and creativity.
~ Jay Cardiello
Have you ever wondered what goes into making something? Let me tell you first hand, the amount of tools, machines, and human touch that goes into the production of your motion chair is nothing short of miraculous. For every piece of equipment and every piece of material, you have at least two people physically touching and piecing together parts to make the masterpiece that you sit on.
Aeris, the German manufacturer of the swopper chair and all motion chairs sold on swopper.com, has devoted itself to revolutionizing standing and sitting at the workplace. Their philosophy is as simple as it is effective: more movement, in three dimensions. They call it 3D ergonomics. For their customers (you!), this simply means better health, more motivation and higher productivity. And success proves us right! Aeris is ranked in the top 100 of the most innovative small and medium-sized German businesses. Now that is something to be proud of!
Each swopper, muvman or 3Dee chair is quite literally a work of art. Every chair is given personalized attention down to drawstring assembly and hand-steaming of seat fabrics to ensure the highest level of quality. Our team members pride themselves on a job well done, and that means holding hands through the entire process of producing your chairs! This approach shows in the beautiful craftsmanship each of our chairs embodies.
We wanted to give you a sneak peek inside the factory where all swoppers, muvmans and 3Dees are created.
The 3Dee has an amazing amount of intricate parts that are assembled into the most innovative chair in the world!
Fully built 3dee active office chair
As you can see, a lot goes into creating these innovative motion chairs, from Germany to the US and beyond. Learn more about what goes into the process of customizing and shipping out your swopper chair in this post about our own superstar located in Sparks, NV.
~ Jennifer Lytle
As a fitness professional, I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with many of most talented artists in the music industry. Traveling with them around the globe, I am glued to their sides monitoring their health around the clock. One place that I’ve spent more time with them than any gym, is the music studio.
Inside any studio is obstacle of unhealthy traps. From soda to candy, I work as a shield of protection keeping the artist fueled with the best in nutrition. However, there is one unhealthy area that many of my clients seem fall victim to … the studio chair.
It is here that the artist endures a host of unhealthy side affects while sitting static in a chair for hours, like muscle inactivity, poor circulation, a decrease in core strength, decrease in performance, as well as a rise in the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular illness.
These issues go unrecognized, which amazes me. Artists, like athletes, yearn to be tunneled throughout a state of peak performance through which their creativity will be exalted to its highest level. I tell them that poor circulation and lack of activity while sitting in a standard chair for hours, can hamper that creativity and performance they work hard for.
That is why I believe musicians are an ideal set to use a motion chair like a swopper. The side to side, up and down, and other gentle movements of the swopper open the flood gates of circulation allowing blood, nutrients and oxygen to sing powerfully throughout their body. Increasing performance, heightening concentration and driving awareness, the swopper results in clearer thinking and ultimately may aid in reducing those long, tiring and endless hours in the studio.
Musicians, a swopper may just be the best studio investment that you’ll ever make.
~ Jay Cardiello