Six Tips for Successfully Working From Home
More and more of the workforce is leaving the office environment and embracing the work-from-home trend. Working from home is no longer relegated for independent contractors. In fact, many companies are eschewing the traditional office for better work life balance in an effort to attract top talent, regardless of where they’re located.
While working from home has many benefits, there are some potential issues. Follow the below tips to make working from home a success for yourself and your team.
- Keep to a Routine: It’s easy to get lax while working at home. Keep yourself to a strict routine – like always starting work by 8:30 am, breaking for lunch at noon and stopping for the day at 5:00 pm – to keep yourself on task.
- Set up a proper workspace: Designate an office space for yourself at home so you feel like you’re “going to work” when you enter that space. Get the appropriate work furniture like a stand up desk and Muvman sit to stand stool to make your space inviting and functional.
- Just say no to pajamas: Even though you aren’t seeing people face to face, getting dressed for work each day can help make you feel prepared to tackle your day.
- Reach out to coworkers daily: It’s easy to feel a bit isolated working from home. That’s why it’s important to make sure you’re having calls with coworkers daily to keep the lines of communication open and effective.
- Avoid distractions: A traditional workplace can have a lot of distractions, but working from home brings it’s own set as well. Set up a gate to keep children out of your workspace, don’t work in the same room as a tv and commit to limiting your web browsing.
- Know when to shut down for the day: When your work is at home, it’s easy to feel the urge to ALWAYS be working. Set limits for yourself and prioritize your family/down time too.
- Keep active: One of the perks of working from home is the ability to stay active without the curious stares of coworkers. Get outside in your backyard for a quick workout, go for a lunch time walk or invest in a motion office chair, like swopper, and bounce, tilt or sway the day away.
If you’re lucky enough to work from home, following these tips can make your workday for productive and enjoyable. Leave a comment with any tips you have for making working from home a success!
~ Jenn Lytle