How To Stay Fit When You Work An Office Job
Let’s face it. Everyone knows by now how bad it is to be sitting behind a desk all day. But for many 9 to 5’ers, that’s just the reality based on their job requirements.
Unfortunately it’s a catch 22 for many. They want to be more active, but that requires time and usually by the end of the day, the fact that they were inactive all day leaves them with no energy or motivation to be physically active.
So what’s an office worker to do? Obviously, with our Motion Seating chairs (swopper, muvman and 3Dee) we are turning the “in-active office” into the “active office.” We are passionate about the health benefits these chairs can bring to the “ho hum” work day.
In addition to incorporating movement into your day with a motion chair, here are some other tips for how to stay fit when you work an office job.
- There’s the 30/30 rule- Every 30 minutes take a 30 second stretch break (or do some fun active bouncing on your swopper!).
- Take the stairs not the elevator – unless you work on the 70th floor and you’re already late for work.
- Move your printer further away so you have to get up to retrieve your printed items. I have this and love it!! In fact my printer is two offices away!
- Drink lots of water out of a refillable bottle that you need to refill at the water cooler down the hall – fill it often throughout the day. I do this as well. It’s a nice break for the eyes from staring at a computer for long periods of time.
- Take a lunchtime break outside and go for a walk. The fresh air will do you good as well!
- Use a height adjustable desk and change your posture often from sitting to standing and everywhere in between (think muvman!)
- Walk over and talk to that co-worker vs emailing. This can tackle a number of issues. It can lead to clearer communication, encourage creative dialogue and develop stronger relationships with your co-workers.
- Pace around your office when talking on the phone. This can help increase your thought processes and concentration plus burn some extra calories.
Don’t be afraid to try any of these even if you think it makes you look funny. Most likely your employer will applaud you for the efforts. Having healthy employees results in fewer work days lost and as any HR person knows, the cost of absenteeism is staggering.
So Keep On Moving – whether it’s at work or play!!
~ Sandra Bowie, Motion Seating Director