Why the Swopper Chair is Great for Pregnancy
It seems as though every tradeshow I present swopper at, I always get a few women who say “this would have been great when I was pregnant” or “I used a physio ball during labor.” They immediately follow-up that sentence with “swopper feels so much more stable and safe, but gives the same benefits.”
Not having children (do furry babies count?), I decided to do some research on this as this was an application we don’t typically connect with swopper. We tend to associate swopper with an office setting, but when you stop and think about it, a motion chair is ideal for many non-office settings, including pregnancy.
What I found through my research is:
- The angle swopper puts you in helps relieve pressure on your back and joints, while also being adjustable to fit each individual.
- Swopper encourages gentle bouncing, which has been shown to encourage the baby to move into proper positions prior to labor.
- The chair also gets mom rocking and pelvic tilting, which again encourages the baby into a proper position and help relieve stress and pain on the mother.
- Exercise can tend to get limited as a pregnancy progresses. The simple motion on a swopper can help with circulation and keeping the body limber all while toning muscles.
- Mothers should trade a chair for a swopper at the computer, table or even while watching TV. This way they will strengthen the lower back and have that open hip/spine angle. Making them more comfortable but also preparing them for stress of labor.
- Studies have shown that the kind of motions you do on a swopper can help speed up the labor process and also make it shorter (I’m sure any mother would love that!)
Another bonus use for swopper is for feeding and comforting a baby. Pacing for hours can be exhausting for a new mom, but simply rocking or gently bouncing can put a baby to sleep. Just make sure you are comfortable getting on and off without losing your balance before trying to sit down with a baby in your arms.
We recently shared swopper with mom blogger A Mom’s Take, who happened to be pregnant. Here’s what she had to say about using swopper during her pregnancy “Our chair arrived just before baby #5, and I loved used it while pregnant, especially. It gives you a lot of the feel of a yoga ball, without rolling away and being so low to the ground.”
~ Sandra Bowie